Sinclair Z88

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Sinclair Z88

Postby SeanKennedy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Ok - I was going to cap the collection, unless a Super-80 or maybe MicroBee showed up.

But then I read a (very long!) blog postabout some classic Christchurch history, and now I need a Sinclair Z88 - I had a pic of it in use a while back, but can't find it in my digital collection - may have been on Kodak paper!

There was one on TM a month or so back, but I can't see what it went for.

Anyway - if anyone sees one languishing in an unloved state, let me know :)
SeanKennedy

Re: Sinclair Z88

Postby Beaglz on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:49 pm

I saw that Z88 on TM but also missed what it sold for.

There are several on ebay.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Z88-Cambridge-Computer-/222077235658?hash=item33b4d5b1ca:g:WawAAOSwezVWyiBi

Easy enough to arrange to post to YouShop in the UK and then have it sent to NZ. I have done this with some ZX Spectrum Microdrive cartridges this week.
Beaglz

Postby acsi on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 pm

I have a Z88 which I have decided to move on to a better home.

I'll have to dig it out but I did invest in some upgrades for it.

I'll dig it out and let you know.
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby acsi on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Well I've dug it out although I still need to find the software CD I got for it and I think I had an original 128K Ram cartridge in its box.

Anyway it has the following cartridges in it

512K flash ram http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/%2ANEW%2A-Cambridge-Z88-512K-RAM%2B-512K-Flash-EPROM-2475
512K Ram
32K Ram

The unit comes in its original case with manual but does have some engraving on the back from the original owner.

Anyway leave me a message if your interested.

Thanks
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby SeanKennedy on Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 am

Well, a big thanks to Acsi for popping one in the post for me.

Here is what spiked my interest - I dug up some old snaps from last century. Judging by the date on the back of the photos these were taken at the 1999 Sound of Thunder meeting at Ruapuna. The great thing about the Britten camp is that you could freely walk around their pit and take as many pics as you wanted. They were a little more guarded in the workshop on Carlyle Street, but from time to time they let me take one.

So between races they would be tweaking the ECU management computer and analysing the previous run - there was a red button on the left hand grip where the rider could place markers in the data log when he wanted something checked.

When I went to the John Britten memorial early last year I had a quick chat to the new US owner of the CR&S "Black Beauty" bike, and he mentioned that they had managed to find a laptop "That could run DOS and talk to the bike". Really, any USB/serial interface and terminal would probably work, but I smiled and nodded :)

Thanks again Acsi - if I can't get it running, it will at least be a great prop next to my two pewter models.
SeanKennedy

Postby tezza on Tue May 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Great to see pictures of a machine like this being used "in Situ" (:
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Items Wanted