Looking for from Computer 1987-1995

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Looking for from Computer 1987-1995

Postby 3djake on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I posted some of this in my introduction but was not getting responses so I figured I would post here also.

For my first vintage computer I am looking for a computer from about 1987-1995, I want it to be compatible with Linux and have decent specs for that era. I plan to mostly play with old versions of Linux distros but it would be a plus if it could run old DOS games, I may set up a dual boot.
As for specs;
    386 or later (because these usually compatible with Linux)
    Graphics capable of at least 256 colors (I want to try out early window managers(SVGA)).
    If it does not have CD-ROM, then a spare slot for one in the chassis so I can install one would be a plus but not essential.
    Network Card or Serial Port so I can connect it to the internet would be a plus

I looked on trademe but there were not many options and the few that I did see were a bit too pricey for me, I would rather buy a complete working computer which I can upgrade if I need to, I can get the display and other peripherals separate if I need to.

I mostly signed up for some advice on where I can find old computers and components for a decent price.

Hopefully you all have not migrated to social media such as facebook which I refuse to use.

Regards, Jake.
Last edited by 3djake on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
3djake

Re: Looking for from Computer 1987-1995

Postby artig on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:20 am

It's not quite that old, but I have a TL Systems tower computer with AMD processor from 2001 sitting unused under a desk for the last 15 years or so. It has Windows 2000 installed, two DVD drives (at least one of them a writer), and 3.25" floppy drive. I think it has 32MB memory, but can't recall what disk drive it has. I'd need to dig up a suitable monitor to see if it will even start up after such a long time, and check the video card. There are also a few older DOS/Windows computers and monitors stored away, but I have no idea what specifications they have. I'd need to go on an archaeological expedition to find out.
artig

Postby acsi on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Jake,

Where about are you are I have a machine you could have?
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby 3djake on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks for the replies. :)

I am only working part-time at the moment so my budget is some what limited.

artig wrote:It's not quite that old, but I have a TL Systems tower computer with AMD processor from 2001 sitting unused under a desk for the last 15 years or so. It has Windows 2000 installed, two DVD drives (at least one of them a writer), and 3.25" floppy drive. I think it has 32MB memory, but can't recall what disk drive it has. I'd need to dig up a suitable monitor to see if it will even start up after such a long time, and check the video card. There are also a few older DOS/Windows computers and monitors stored away, but I have no idea what specifications they have. I'd need to go on an archaeological expedition to find out.

2001 might be too recent for me, I think I have a box of components from around 2003 could probably build something similar. Those old DOS machines intrigue me but I do not want to be too much trouble if you have to go on a archaeological dig.

acsi wrote:Hi Jake,

Where about are you are I have a machine you could have?

I live in Whangaparoa, Auckland.
3djake

Return to Vintage Items Wanted