14 big boxes filled with IC's EPROM's etc

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: 14 big boxes filled with IC's EPROM's etc

Postby tezza on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 am

SpidersWeb wrote:I know one of the high rollers is about to retire and wants to restore vintage computers when he does.

Actually that was my initial plan but it sort of got out of hand... :)

As to auctions, my approach is the same as caluser2000. Determine how much you want to pay, put on an autobid then walk away. If I don't get the item it means someone else was prepared to pay more than I was. That's fine..I'm patient and there is always e-bay.

I don't really get the whole "thrill of the competition" thing. My interest is in exploring vintage technology and it's history rather than engaging in, or following a competitive sport (in this case Internet auctions). Each to his own.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am

tezza wrote:...but it sort of got out of hand... :)

Yeah me too - I've been given permission to insulate and line the garage now. Figuring I can get 3 or 4 desk rows in there.
Funny thing is I rarely use them, just want to have them there and know they work :S
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 pm

caluser2000 wrote:Oh and generally good auction have that "r" word in it. It's just asking to be glad :D
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

You mean "rare"?! or "STEVE JOBS!!!!!!" (oooh, that makes my blood boil. However, I'll calm down. It's been discussed to death already.)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Yeah that one ;)
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:41 pm

haha now I"m thinking of Doge.

Many collect
Much wow
Very rare
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Cost $4500 thirty odd years ago :roll:
RonTurner

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:

Yeah me too - I've been given permission to insulate and line the garage now. Figuring I can get 3 or 4 desk rows in there.
Funny thing is I rarely use them, just want to have them there and know they work :S
Congratulations!! I'm still in the spare bedroom at the moment. Threw out a 9 pin dot matrix printer last week I was tripping over under the car port. Did feel bad about that for around 2 sec, then remembered I' had a couple up in the attic gathering dust since goodness knows when.
caluser2000

Postby RonTurner on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:03 am

caluser2000 wrote:
SpidersWeb wrote:

Congratulations!! I'm still in the spare bedroom at the moment. Threw out a 9 pin dot matrix printer last week I was tripping over under the car port. Did feel bad about that for around 2 sec, then remembered I' had a couple up in the attic gathering dust since goodness knows when.

Same I have sourced long tables and got them going all the way around the sides of the spare room, I put a second layer for the monitors, I can just reach over and power up my a good number of my best setups, everything is hooked up, like the spectrum has a data-deck hooked up and tapes for it in the draw just under it. Im still setting everything up but its a few years away before I retire :wink: I find that sitting packed up in a box, they can remain static for years :( mind you it can take years to source the parts.

Im actually into having a running setup, rather than a storage unit setup :D

But when it comes to storage, bunning's whorehouse have $30 - 110 litre rugged & stackable storage containers, will protect your goodies against, dampness,
mice, silver fish , dirt and sunlight etc, and I have actually seen cables chewed on by mice (in garage units) and silver fish which can live for 10 years
and go 1 year without food ! they can just live on your books glue and paper ! silverfish etc cannot climb the sides of plastic storage containers.
If mice get into your garage they will chew on the corners of your boxed software and nibble on power cables.
RonTurner

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:36 am

Neither beastie has prefered location though. Cockroaches get into the smallest of places as well. The shoe box I keep my ram sticks in that I keep in the closet has a 1" hole were a rodent decided to have a peek inside. Good suggestion about the plastic containers. If you get them too big though they tend to get quite heavy. PLastic bins with rollers on are easy moved about on flat surfaces.
caluser2000

Postby RonTurner on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm

I have picked up garage hauls where mice have had no problem at all chewing there way into a cardboard box to have a peek inside, do a few poops and chew on the cables, and trash boxed software :( I have nothing but my car in the garage :wink: My garage is hot during summer, damp during winter and dusty all year round
RonTurner

Previous

Return to Trade Me