Opening New Sealed Vintage computers to show contents ?

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Opening New Sealed Vintage computers to show contents ?

Postby RonTurner on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi, "the frustration of pointlessness"

Did you know that when you cut open the plastic wrapping the vintage computer is worth only a fraction of what it was worth five minutes earlier !

I have got to post this (slightly sarcastic) information after seeing the trend on trade-me of cutting open 30 odd year old collectors gems to show bidders what's inside the box. Here's what you could do; google a stock image of the new computer and upload that or put a link to a u-tube of the unpacking of the vintage computer, but please stop the mad-ness of cutting open the box to show us the new computer inside !

The other problem with opening the package, is now we have to take your word that the computer was just opened (could have been opened 20 years ago) which now cannot be proved.

I have a C64 that is brand new (the cords are still in original positions in box, I doubt its been used) but the tape is cut on the box, I could list it saying "opened it for the auction to show you inside" but its been opened 20 years ago.

Gavin Turner.
RonTurner

Re: Opening New Sealed Vintage computers to show contents ?

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Oh, go on then... post the link...
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby mons2b on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Some guys will insist on seeing the contents. Personally I think leaving it sealed forever in the box is sad. Yes its more valuable but its also a antiseptic way of treating a device that was made to be touched. If you dont care about that and wanted it sealed just like a painting on your wall good for you. Who knows what horrors the ignored capacitors and CMOS batteries are doing inside to your "valuable" sealed item. Nicely sealed box of corrosion. Lol.
mons2b

Postby techexpress on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Interesting topic. I noted the comments and this particular listing. We have a number of retro factory sealed IBM games and gaming accessories. We typically like to offer items for sale online with as detailed, accurate and exact a description as possible. Some of the appeal that translates to $value of factory sealed is the mystique of "what's in the box?" or "I'll open that one day" Or " My grandson or granddaughter can open that!.I think if a Buyer is passionate about a collectable item, they, in reality, would be happy to gamble on factory sealed, contents not guaranteeable. In our case, if the Buyer could prove they got a bad deal, we would step up and resolve. i.e in the unlikely event that they received an empty box, we would step in and offer some remuneration. Whilst I understand the best intentions were evident in this case, We would not open a product to show it's contents when selling.

Oh... And looking forward to seeing that listing for the C64.
techexpress

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm

I sit in the middle here. When I open the containers my Apple II's live in, instantly the smell makes me 11 again, so mostly out of nostalgia, I like the thought that somewhere, somehow, one exists as it would have been on the shelf - and as techexpress is suggesting, if you're trading in "original" and are prepared to stand behind "original" then it's perfectly valid to say that you need to own it if you want to open it and you need to understand what you're buying.

For enthusiasts, by all means, buy a cheaper, less pristine one that is unboxed and use that day to day to preserve the condition of your original one... But even 5000 year old artefacts in museums get opened to be examined and shown. They take extraordinary lengths of care, but they do it. Certainly a boxed item can be opened and preserved as new without damage by expert hands. It's ridiculous to turn something into the collectors equivalent of Schrödinger's Cat.

But I'm not a fan of investors who leave these things forever sealed, solely for resale value. They're like those people who have a "never played" 1950's Stratocaster in a bank vault. They just drive up prices and deny availability to real enthusiasts. They should go buy real-estate.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby mons2b on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

I agree with Gibsaw. Somethings can maybe be left sealed for a while. But unless its a lump of rock it will need preservation efforts performed actively at some point.

Like I pointed out. A sealed computer is a sealed box of leaking capacitors and battery toxins happily dissolving the item within the box. One could say who cares its sealed so no one will know the state inside.. Ah ha what happens when a tester can be waved over that box and it detects signs of chronic electronic decay. What will the sealed computer be worth then.

Ie you keep your sealed Amiga 1200. When your old and stumbling around you put it to auction. The auction house waves a electronic tester over the box. Beep beep. "Decayed, heavy corrosion traces detected". Value drops to value of the remaining plastic case etc? Others put up to auction their Amiga 1200 that has been opened and the parts stablized at regular intervals. I think the opened one will be worth more. Its just a matter of time till such tests can be cheaply performed by vintage buyers.
mons2b

Return to Trade Me