Why I don't like trademe

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Why I don't like trademe

Postby KarlSten on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:22 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... &archive=1

Listed for less than 24 hours and withdrawn after bids above reserve for a private sale negotiated through the q+a
KarlSten
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby Beaglz on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:08 am

Totally agree. I saw that auction and noticed the Q&A with them attempted to do a deal. Only thing you can do is report the listing to Trade Me - if several people complain them maybe they will hit them with a wet bus ticket? I guess that is harder to do nowadays given the bus tickets are plastic cards?
Cheers,
Beaglz
Beaglz
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby tezza on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:36 pm

I agree. I thought the ruie was once bidding started, the only option was to include a buy now for someone who made an offer? Even that's a dodgy practice.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:19 pm

tezza wrote:I agree. I thought the ruie was once bidding started, the only option was to include a buy now for someone who made an offer? Even that's a dodgy practice.


I don't think it's a dodgy practice... From memory, bidders get notified when buy-now gets added and more importantly... anyone can click the buy-now. There' only a very marginal difference when it's added, if everyone is paying attention - and you can't do it once reserve is met, so no-one who has bid above reserve loses out.

If we're saying it's a dodgy practice, then what we're kind-of saying is that we don't really like buy-now at all. I'm the opposite. I think it should be able to be left enabled.

There's this nonsense propagated by trademe that once reserve is met, the auction process is sacred, but frankly it's ridiculous. An auction is just an agreed process for deciding the highest bid. I see no good reason why a seller can't effectively say "it's reached the price I will accept. Sold. No more bids."... As long as everyone knows that outcome is available.
Last edited by Gibsaw on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby tezza on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Gibsaw wrote: - and you can't do it once reserve is met, so no-one who has bid above reserve loses out.


Actually I forgot about that. In that case I take my comments back.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby KarlSten on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Gibsaw wrote:There's this nonsense propagated by trademe that once reserve is met, the auction process is sacred, but frankly it's ridiculous. An auction is just an agreed process for deciding the highest bid. I see no good reason why a seller can't effectively say "it's reached the price I will accept. Sold. No more bids."... As long as everyone knows that outcome is available.


That would certainly change my bidding behaviour. No more sniping... :shock:

But in this case, the rules are pretty clear and appear to me to have been broken. I did send an email to trademe, I hope the other watchers and the other bidder did as well.
KarlSten
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Re: Why I don't like trademe

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 pm

KarlSten wrote:That would certainly change my bidding behaviour. No more sniping... :shock:

Yep, I imagine it would. Although it's not really possible to snipe with TM with their two minute auto-extend. That's one thing I do agree with and ebay should adopt it... Nowhere else in real auctions does anyone call "time's up" when bidding is still going on.
KarlSten wrote:But in this case, the rules are pretty clear and appear to me to have been broken. I did send an email to trademe, I hope the other watchers and the other bidder did as well.

Looks that way. I'm surprised TM allowed them to withdraw an auction with reserve met.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Auckland


Return to Trade Me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests

cron