Some Commodore stuff by Alan Gilchrist

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Some Commodore stuff by Alan Gilchrist

Postby matsondawson on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Damn it! I was desperately trying to bid on the C16 on my phone, but what happens 2 minutes before end, my phone hung, and wouldn't download the page any more even after restart...
matsondawson

Postby tezza on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm

matsondawson wrote:Damn it! I was desperately trying to bid on the C16 on my phone, but what happens 2 minutes before end, my phone hung, and wouldn't download the page any more even after restart...

Yea. I hate that last minute frantic bidding exercise. That's why I normally set autobid in advance then go nowhere near a computer when the auction is finishing.

One thing I do like about the C-16 is the black case. But...I haven't got the room (or money) to collect these less notable models. I wish I had but that's the way it is...at least it's one less bidder to compete with the rest of you guys. :D

Who did get it, incidently?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:50 pm

tezza wrote:Who did get it, incidently?

Someone who goes by welshwizard, so it went to a good home :)

The auction closed with reserve not met. I got an alert that it had been offered for $30 at exactly the same time that I got an alert that the offer had been accepted by another bidder.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:28 pm

lizardb0y wrote:
tezza wrote:Who did get it, incidently?

Someone who goes by welshwizard, so it went to a good home :)

The auction closed with reserve not met. I got an alert that it had been offered for $30 at exactly the same time that I got an alert that the offer had been accepted by another bidder.

Thats me , I did not get the VIC20 with power Pac I was after, got the offer and just replied yes, I thought $30 was cheap, as it will be a choice between that one and the one I have becoming a spares machine,
WelshWizard

Postby gavo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:00 pm

lizardb0y wrote:I paid under $45 a few months ago for a C128D with 1802 monitor and 1541 external floppy drive in working, undamaged but badly yellowed condition. It came with cables, manuals and a couple of boxes of floppies.

Wow! That sounds pretty decent. Was that off TM?
gavo

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 pm

gavo wrote:
lizardb0y wrote:I paid under $45 a few months ago for a C128D with 1802 monitor and 1541 external floppy drive in working, undamaged but badly yellowed condition. It came with cables, manuals and a couple of boxes of floppies.

Wow! That sounds pretty decent. Was that off TM?

Yes, but it was pick up only from Upper Hutt, so that reduces the ninety of people willing to bid. I'm pretty happy with it :)
lizardb0y / Andrew

lizardb0y

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Okay, asking the obvious. Didn't the Commodore Computer Museum already sell (and then any mention of it disappear off the face of the earth)a couple of years back? Why is all this stuff up for sale? I'm guessing the buyer of the collection just took a few bits like all the Pets, SX-64s etc. All these items selling at the moment are surely that collection?
YetiSeti

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm

YetiSeti, I was talking to Alan a while back. Gist was he kept a few bits and pieces of interest, but now he's really just liquidating the leftovers.

Oh, and I do recommend you guys get the Commodore DVD he was selling, it's got some normal clips you find on YouTube but there's some really tacky of-the-era clips of the local Commodore office from the era, it's great! :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby matsondawson on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Bah all these auctions ending during the day is silly, I can't do trademe at work, so it's just hurting the seller.
matsondawson

Postby lizardb0y on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah, I know. Same problem.
lizardb0y / Andrew

lizardb0y

Postby WelshWizard on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:29 pm

still some are benefitting from them, one of the problems of the retired is to much time and you don't always think when you are listing. Would be good if you could list all your auction with a set start time.
WelshWizard

Postby XOR on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm

WelshWizard wrote:still some are benefitting from them, one of the problems of the retired is to much time and you don't always think when you are listing. Would be good if you could list all your auction with a set start time.

Trademe lets you manually set the end time for your auctions.

It costs an extra 25 cents.
XOR

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:31 pm

They cost enough with out adding to it, and if you are listing a $1 and only expect to get a $ it almost cheap to throw them at the side of the road.
WelshWizard

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm

matsondawson wrote:Damn it! I was desperately trying to bid on the C16 on my phone, but what happens 2 minutes before end, my phone hung, and wouldn't download the page any more even after restart...

Sorry about that when no bid on it and I was after the V20 the offer came in and I just click yes with out thinking about it, seem I have had to get a tape deck as some one told me the C64 tape deck won't work on the C16, ( did not realise Commodore made such incompatibilities in their systems) any way it arrived today, was going to use it for spares but its in really good nick, Alan told me he will be listing a lot of stuff over the next few weeks, as he is clearing out some surplus stuff)

Also turned up was the C64 power supply from Oz, rats dead as a Dodo, next time will look for tested item.

So I am back in the market for a (9VAC/5VDC C64 Power supply)
or if any of you guys have some hacks for making a good aftermarket type would be interested in the info.
WelshWizard

Postby matsondawson on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 am

WelshWizard wrote:Sorry about that when no bid on it and I was after the V20 the offer came in and I just click yes with out thinking about it, seem I have had to get a tape deck as some one told me the C64 tape deck won't work on the C16, ( did not realise Commodore made such incompatibilities in their systems) any way it arrived today, was going to use it for spares but its in really good nick, Alan told me he will be listing a lot of stuff over the next few weeks, as he is clearing out some surplus stuff)

Yes commodore was a bunch of dicks and made the tape deck incompatible so they could sell you another tape deck if you upgraded.
This probably contributed to the C16 poor sales.
Short sighted bunch of idiots. Probably marketing majors, the same people who make companies like Telecom and Vodofone crap today.
matsondawson

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me