Switch to full style

I hope none of you are trs801 on Trade me

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

I hope none of you are trs801 on Trade me

by WelshWizard » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I hope none of you are trs801 on Trade me as I have been having great fun forcing up the price on some auction, ( half the time I am not that worried about winning the item, but who ever he is he is really going over the top with some of his bids ( maybe I am wrong but he seems to want to pay any thing for some items listed.)
If you are a member let me know and I will stop doing it.
WelshWizard

Re: I hope none of you are trs801 on Trade me

by YetiSeti » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:18 am

There's a quite a few notable collectors who pay top dollar for vintage computer gear and above typical international prices, which should at least be used as a yardstick even despite local supply/scarcity issues. Such people have one of three things :
1. Deeper pockets
2. Greater motivation
3. More ignorance

Some regular buyers, myself included, in buying so much can't go to such prices. I regularly bow out much less than what I would bid to or consider to be a market value for an item even for items I really want. I don't like seeing prices go high.

A motivated non-collector or two will lead to quite ridiculous prices, but then, they're not buying these things every day and when you think about it, $100-$200 is not a lot of money for one off purchases.
YetiSeti

by Old_System_ 80_User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Well as long as you are enjoying yourself - I guess you find it keeps you amused - trs801
Old_System_ 80_User

by WelshWizard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Then I will back off when your are interested, I have only been biding as far as I was prepared to pay any way,

Most members if they are really interested put a note on here.
WelshWizard

by Gibsaw » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Heh.. ah, Mr Welsh Wizard it seems you are an egalitarian hobbyist at heart... If trs801 upsets you, wait until you're bidding against australian or american collectors. (or matsondawson :) )
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

by tezza » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:54 am

WelshWizard wrote:Most members if they are really interested put a note on here.

No, not necessarily. It's more that anyone who has been using these forums for a while gets to know member's usernames on Trademe.

There will be times when several of us want the same thing, and then it's a case of whoever is prepared to pay the most wins. I assumed you were joking John, when you suggested you pushed the price of an auction up when you didn't really want the item. I'd certainly be annoyed if someone did that to me.

One thing these forums can be useful for is (through private message) to check what components of a bulk lot different people might want. If we want different things from the offering, often a shared bid can be negotiated..which is certainly better than simply bidding against each other.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by WelshWizard » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 am

I asked because I have not been a member for very long on here, and as I did not know if he was a member I posted to see if he was,
As I stated I went as far as I was prepared to pay, no further.
some of the stuff I bid on there are other ways I can buy, just takes longer than a local purchase, My main reason for my post was that I don't see any need for me to be biding and pushing up the price for another member, as I would find it annoying if it was done for fun too.

On some of the other sites ( non Computer collectors websites we have a register that if we want we can post our user name on EBay or any other auction site, )
It does help, as other members get to know what you are looking for and often post links, or declare interest to help avoid driving up prices unnecessarily.

from another post re matsondawson seems he has simmiler views

matsondawson wrote:If anyone has any real interest in any specific auctions other than the C16, tell me and I'll lay off.

and as the C16 passed in without bids I bought it on offer, only to find out latter that his phone had frozen,

I did reply once I found out.
WelshWizard wrote:
matsondawson wrote:Damn it! I was desperately trying to bid on the C16 on my phone, but what happens 2 minutes before end, my phone hung, and wouldn't download the page any more even after restart...

Sorry about that when no bid on it and I was after the V20 the offer came in and I just click yes with out thinking about it, seem I have had to get a tape deck as some one told me the C64 tape deck won't work on the C16, ( did not realise Commodore made such incompatibilities in their systems) any way it arrived today, was going to use it for spares but its in really good nick, Alan told me he will be listing a lot of stuff over the next few weeks, as he is clearing out some surplus stuff)

Also turned up was the C64 power supply from Oz, rats dead as a Dodo, next time will look for tested item.

So I am back in the market for a (9VAC/5VDC C64 Power supply)
or if any of you guys have some hacks for making a good aftermarket type would be interested in the info.
WelshWizard

by Gibsaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:52 am

WelshWizard wrote:from another post re matsondawson seems he has simmiler views

Hah.. most of us on here value fairness in the bidding process, but that wasn't why I mentioned matt.

Matt seems to be one of a few people on here who is willing to bid above commonly accepted values if he really wants something.
Gibsaw

by matsondawson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:51 am

Just building my collection :)
Don't worry as it fills out I'll stop bidding on things.
You only have to watch out now if it's any of:
Amstrad
Atari 800
TRS-80/80 clones
Apple 2 monitors
NTSC model Vic 20
ZX80
Jupiter Ace
matsondawson

by Gibsaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 am

matsondawson wrote:Just building my collection :)
Don't worry as it fills out I'll stop bidding on things.
You only have to watch out now if it's any of:
Amstrad
Atari 800
TRS-80/80 clones
Apple 2 monitors
NTSC model Vic 20
ZX80
Jupiter Ace

Which will be where Matt and I will find ourselves bidding against each other. :)
Gibsaw

by tezza » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 am

Gibsaw wrote:Which will be where Matt and I will find ourselves bidding against each other. :)

Not only you and Matt. You'll have me to compete with for a Jupiter Ace and an Atari 800. :D

You guys can have the rest, although I am looking for a genuine badged TRS-80 Model 1 monitor and/or stand alone drives (Actually I just need the drive covers).

An Epson QX-80 would be nice as would a Compucolour 2.
tezza
Site Admin

by WelshWizard » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:07 pm

tezza wrote:
Gibsaw wrote:Which will be where Matt and I will find ourselves bidding against each other. :)

Not only you and Matt. You'll have me to compete with for a Jupiter Ace and and Atari 800. :D

You guys can have the rest, although I am looking for a genuine badged TRS-80 Model 1 monitor and/or stand alone drives (Actually I just need the drive covers).

An Epson QX-80 would be nice as would a Compucolour 2.

Darn it I junked a QX80 about a year ago
WelshWizard

by tezza » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:40 pm

WelshWizard wrote:Darn it I junked a QX80 about a year ago

That's a pity. I want one as a representative of a cluster of well-made, stylish Japanese 8-bit CP/M business machines which came onto the market in the early/mid 1980s. The 16-bit PC-DOS/MS-DOS juggernaught was already gathering pace by then which doomed them rather quickly.
tezza
Site Admin