C= prices going crazy

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: C= prices going crazy

Postby YetiSeti on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 pm

lizardb0y wrote:The real question is; is this a bubble, or long term trend? (aka Is now the time to rationalise my collection?)

No, it's not a bubble. We just need to get a bit smarter on these boards and make a note when we see items sell for anomalous amounts to remember the names of the buyers. These are people who are quite possibly unaware of the market prices, have wads of cash, aren't tight-wads like the majority of us, and are the people we should be contacting if ever there are machines to be sold. I bet these people won't be buying the same systems again, but may well be interested in buying others or looking to establish a small collection. It shouldn't be hard to contact some of them via their other listings in the Q&A section.
YetiSeti

Postby WelshWizard on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 pm

V20 is still on a buying spree with C= stuff he just got two more breadbins and tape drives today, so he has obtained about 6 C= in the last month and is paying high prices on most, beginning to wonder if he is a collector or a dealer like ROB 1 from north shore with any Amigas that come up.
WelshWizard

Postby VIC on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

You might not be able to guess from my carefully disguised username but i'm Vic20 from trademe. Sorry to be causing a bit of a stir. Just really wanted an Aus C64 so thought I would combine postage and go for a few. I would rather have paid less of course. I think you might have been pushing me up a few times WelshWizard so you've also been prepared to pay a premium for some things. Albeit you have more control than me. I'm certainly not a dealer in vintage. These are for my collection. Speaking of Rob1 though he has also cost me a little in auction battles.
VIC

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:43 pm

So really the prices aren't going crazy, it's just guys who really want them :)

To be fair I'd like a VIC20 too, but I'm not paying out the wazoo for something I don't have a massive personal connection to, I was a 64 and Amiga kid.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby VIC on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I think there is a lot to be said for the emotional factor. Some place a premium on computers they've grown up with. I know it's not the most calculated way to go especially when building up a larger collection but I guess you can find lots of ways of justifying a buy. We'll I had better to my wife anyway.
VIC

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm

WelshWizard wrote:V20 is still on a buying spree with C= stuff he just got two more breadbins and tape drives today, so he has obtained about 6 C= in the last month and is paying high prices on most, beginning to wonder if he is a collector or a dealer like ROB 1 from north shore with any Amigas that come up.

I beleive he was also bidding (raising my price :P ) on my AT/XT auctions I won.
Must be pretty dedicated/serious TBH.

I just won a 5 pin DIN keyboard to use with my 286 in a few weeks - $40 + $8 postage D: but I neeeeeded it. Only takes two people to need it and price flies. Lost my disk auctions, 3 auctions bids went above what I expected.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby VIC on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Guilty as charged SpidersWeb. Sorry to push the price up on that also. I seem to have done a good job of upsetting a number of the New Zealand Vintage Computer Forum members over the last week :?. It would be nice to have an XT again but there will always be another. I should remember to tell myself that next time I'm bidding anyway.

I saw the 5 pin DIN keyboard auction unfold. It does only take a couple of keen bidders and things are away.
VIC

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

haha, it's the way auctions work, it's all good :) I was just being cheeky (although I didn't know you'd posted already on this thread! :oops: ). I've been watching trademe for 5160/5170's for years, last one I spotted was ChCh pickup only :( I grabbed his other two boxes as well, although I don't get to see them for another 2 weeks (organised computer literate friends to hold and transport them rather than risking a courier)

I know what you mean about budget, my budget for that 5160 was only $100!

I'd be really keen to hear about your collection too.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:I'd be really keen to hear about your collection too.

Vic, if you do want to expand on the above, feel free to write something about yourself in the Introductions thread. It's always good to know more about those that use this forum. :)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Absolutely. We're all friends here, even if we're not on TradeMe :lol:
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby VIC on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 am

Thanks guys! Have done the intro thing. Such a great forum by the way. Cheers!
VIC

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm

and I thought it was just here some were being hopefull with prices, just came across this on Fleebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-2600-19 ... 27c31ef7bb
WelshWizard

Postby cjr on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:30 pm

outbid by a fight between vic20 and welshwizard over a c64.. le sigh. :mrgreen:
cjr

Postby WelshWizard on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:02 pm

only had a slight interest in the other, this was the main one I wanted
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =454251926

are you Chris? I see you have been a Trademe member almost as long as me.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =454548232
after the cartridges and disk drive, so thought $70 was plenty looks like Andrew is after a lot of C= stuff at the moment as well, but he has wider collection range than me.

seems most C= have settled in about the $50 to $60 mark unless they have a disk drive with it and then it seems to be anything around the $80 to $100 mark and if it has a box even on it own $150 +
WelshWizard

Postby cjr on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:42 pm

yeah, that'd be me. Seems that with a little coordination we could all bid smarter and keep all the prices down. You chaps could have probably saved $20 on that one by pre-organizing the auctions you might bid on. I only had a crack because it was 15min up the road and I could have picked-up. :D
trademe:cjr
cjr

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me