Sega SC-3000 software score

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Sega SC-3000 software score

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=272112385

What I just got off trademe.

Well, there were twenty of them. Pricewise I may have been a little overzealous and may not have been such a score.

Half of them are Poseidon Software titles which is what I hope have the value and are why I bought them since I only have Grandstand ones in my collection at the moment.

Check out the great cover art for Arcade Pack I and Horse Trotting !!! Though I would need for someone to confirm to me that these are original rather than owner made.
YetiSeti

Re: Sega SC-3000 software score

Postby tezza on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Good score.

You have a Sega SC-3000? What are your impressions?

Terry
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby YetiSeti on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:42 pm

You have a Sega SC-3000? What are your impressions?
Terry

Well, this is one computer I didn't have in the 80s so that sets it on a bad foot already. When the only software that (I remember seeing) was available, apart from the carts, were the bland looking Grandstand titles, I'm quite surprised as many sold as they did, but selling from chain apartment stores and not just the computer & electronic stores sure must have helped.

Of course a few years on now I think they're worthy of a bit more respect and were more capable than what the software that was produced for them demonstrated. However, these Segas amongst the computers in my collection seem to have a poorest track record of still work into the current age (sad;y neither does my SF-7000 which I paid a considerable amount for). A Grandstand Sega SG-1000 which is a rarity just sold for under $30 on trademe which I thought was a bargain (in comparison what I've paid for one).

Interestingly, the person I just got these games from, found them in a clear bag placed out on the streets nearby to home. I wish people did that near to my place!
YetiSeti

Postby Radar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 pm

You did really well scoring that lot - I've been actively collecting SC3000 for many years and have never seen some of those titles (Satellite Salvage, Kingdom, Tradewinds) come up before.
Some of the Poseidon titles must have had extremely low runs as did Night Trotting etc. selling only through small ads / user newletters.

The covers are all original and reflect the "homemade" status - I have several SC3000 games myself (1 Day Cricket) where the cover is actually a photo (as in developed from film) of the hand drawn artwork.

I would like to encourage you 120% to get some of these dumped ASAP.
Fellow NZ collector Aaron "Holmes" has done a sterling effort over the years archiving everything he can find in relation to the SC3000 and I know he would love to archive any of these titles that have not already surfaced. I've personally sent him dozens of tapes (including many one offs) with out issue.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atari/SC3K08.html

Off those Sir Rodericks Quest, Vortex Blaster and Burglar Bill are some of the very best games for the system every produced.
Radar

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Radar wrote:You did really well scoring that lot - I've been actively collecting SC3000 for many years and have never seen some of those titles (Satellite Salvage, Kingdom, Tradewinds) come up before.

Cool. The old computers don't have rarity lists & guides for software like all the cartridge and gaming systems have. It's hard to know how much is out there of some stuff sometimes.

Radar wrote:Some of the Poseidon titles must have had extremely low runs as did Night Trotting etc. selling only through small ads / user newletters.
The covers are all original and reflect the "homemade" status - I have several SC3000 games myself (1 Day Cricket) where the cover is actually a photo (as in developed from film) of the hand drawn artwork.

Yes, I see. One of the covers of Night Trotting is such and has a picture glued on. "Bill's Basement", if original, is just the title typed on the front and side on the reversed unprinted side of a commercial blank cassette "Metron". Same on the cassette, it's just the Metron label and no game title. Maybe it's a user dub, as I'd be disappointed buying a game back then if the title of the game wasn't even listed on the cassette tape.

Radar wrote:I would like to encourage you 120% to get some of these dumped ASAP.

I just wonder if I have a non-vintage tape recorder in the house. Everything's 25+ years or older technology :) Some parts of the site haven't been updated for a few years, so I would have imagined it was all there already.

Radar wrote:Fellow NZ collector Aaron "Holmes" has done a sterling effort over the years archiving everything he can find in relation to the SC3000 and I know he would love to archive any of these titles that have not already surfaced. I've personally sent him dozens of tapes (including many one offs) with out issue.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atari/SC3K08.html

When I looked at the link a wee while ago I took 'archived' to mean that maybe Aaron had all these titles and the roms dumped. I have tried to contact the site but never got a reply. I was contacted by someone last year on one of my trademe auctions saying he had their 'Wanted' title "Poseidon Moonbase Alpha adventure" among other SC-3000 software. I have long lost who it was, but at the time I thought it was better off going the SC-3000 way and didn't push too much for them. Hope it did.

Radar wrote:Off those Sir Rodericks Quest, Vortex Blaster and Burglar Bill are some of the very best games for the system every produced.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It's hard to know which are the good games sometimes, especially when you didn't have them, and for a system like this where the titles weren't worldwide in distribution.
YetiSeti

Postby was on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 am

Hi, I saw this post about "Night Trotting" with the 'glued on' cover. I was the author of this software and i actually just did a drawing for the cover, I don't know too much about the 'added' picture. I still have an original cassette with me, with nothing to play it on (It's probably stuffed anyway). I used to sell this through local advertising (It didn't make me rich), not through Grandstand or any other company. It was turned away by Grandstand because it wasn't in machine language. At the time I didn't know how, so I learnt to do the sprite movements in machine language. By the time I'd finished it was a wee bit too late. It did run a fair bit faster and better. I also had it stored on a disk for the SF7000 so that the horses form was stored permanently. I may still have that disk somewhere. The funny thing is that a few years after the SC3000 lost a bit of popularity, one of Grandstands major game software writers (One Day Cricket etc), Andrew Flexman, bought the house next to me in Glenfield Auckland.
was

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

If you can get dumps I'll be very very interested to see how they go - I have a pair of SC3000s, one is the SC3000 with the rubber board, the other an SC3000H with a proper keyboard. Awesome wee machines, they run like champions. Only thing that doesn't work is my Sega cassette deck, ended up just using the wife's mini system with a cable from headphone out into the computer. Everything else I have is on carts... sadly I think the connectors on both machines are getting weak.

Sing out if you have any questions - I picked my pair up from a friend who's owned them from brand new, I have a feeling he might even have some original Sega club magazines of the era.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby YetiSeti on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm

was wrote:Hi, I saw this post about "Night Trotting" with the 'glued on' cover. I was the author of this software and i actually just did a drawing for the cover, I don't know too much about the 'added' picture.

Hi, thanks for the email and posting this information to the forum. As the picture of the software I got from the trademe auction is now long gone from the site's display, here's a link to the picture I took: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Cqs10g4d6SrdprF5P44qgw?feat=directlink

Perhaps it might trot the memory, as I can't imagine why someone might replace your quality drawing :) with the other quality picture stuck over top as shown in the top-left of the photo. I'd have to check, unless you might know, I think it could be a cut out photograph.

This site show's a cover scan of the inlay : http://www.smspower.org/Scans/NightTrotting-SC-NZ-Inlay
YetiSeti

Postby was on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Funny, but looking at the 'pasted colour photo' over my brilliant high quality drawn picture (haha) brings back memories of this game. I also now realise that I even did this 'stick on' myself. I know I posted earlier on that i knew nothing of this, but after seeing it, I remember getting a large sheet of A2 cardboard from a stationary supplier and cutting out the horses from different coloured cardboard sheets and sticking everything on this A2 sheet, rails and all. I can't remember taking the photo or how i got it on the covers. I think i may have ordered a few photo copies. Man I'm getting old and my memory sucks.
was

Postby YetiSeti on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 am

Here's a chance on trademe to re-live those days :

2xSega Personal computer SC3000H with games + more
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Vintage/auction-372283226.htm
$85

I don't think it will go for much more than the start price if past prices are an indicator. However, there's a motivated person asking in the Q&A who would pay the postage to send them overseas. That sounds like a costly proposition.
YetiSeti

Return to Trade Me