Windows 10 pain in the behind for making boot floppies

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Windows 10 pain in the behind for making boot floppies

Postby mons2b on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 pm

I dont know if its just me or my win 10 install or the gigabyte mobo but gee trying to make a win 95b boot floppy was making me crazy. I tried about 10 internal floppy drives connected to it and they all had problems formatting disks and just wouldn't get past half way creating a boot floppy using either downloaded boot disk images or self creating exe files.
I got a brand new box of Imation floppies I bought just before they stopped selling them from regular suppliers and stuck a new disk in. No good. Tried another and another and another and yes another. All bad. I thought this tech isnt that bad and ALL of these floppies cant be degraded. Finally thought the h$ll with this went to a actual windows 95 computer (needs new install but still works) and tried one of the "faulty disks".. Worked perfectly. Then tried creating a boot disk there. Also smooth as. Stupid windows 10! LOL. Avoid my pain. If your having trouble messing with your legacy drives in 10 dont think straight away you have a bad drive or bad floppy disks. Ive not tried yet but I think all my imation disks will work just fine in my dusty but trusty Pentium 133.
mons2b

Re: Windows 10 pain in the behind for making boot floppies

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 am

I agree, a Pentium Windows 95/98 box is great for making floppies. New enough that Windows 10 can see it's network shares, but old enough it has full floppy support (often for multiple drives and 5.25" 360KB too). I have mine setup so I can dual boot Windows and MS DOS if needed.

The problem will no doubt he that Gigabyte nor Microsoft have bothered testing the driver for it or had customer complaints about the issue. What does tend to work well (at least for 3.5") is a USB floppy drive, that still works on my Windows 10 machines just fine.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Re: Windows 10 pain in the behind for making boot floppies

Postby mons2b on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi Spidersweb

I will take your advice and get a USB floppy to experiment with. Im just glad to see my floppy drives and most of my disks are still usable. A old plain jane ex driver disk HD floppy formatted just fine in the Pentium. Right now Im reexperiencing the joy of trying to install windows 95 then it saying insert disk 5... when im using a cd... which its not detecting after already mostly installing off it. sigh.
mons2b

Return to Repair and Restoration