Vic 20 Silver label - Trying to restore need assistance

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Vic 20 Silver label - Trying to restore need assistance

Postby mons2b on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:35 pm

HI all

I was going through my boxes and found I have a Vic 20 with a Silver label made in Japan but its not been shown due respect by the last owner. :(. Ive cleaned it out thoroughly but something I cant fix is that the B key is missing and the stump looks like it broke clean off. Unlike the C64C keyboards the keys dont seem replaceable. It has the earlier "Pet" style keyboard (its a slightly lighter shade of brown than the later keyboards). Does anyone on the forum have a Pet style Vic 20 keyboard they would be willing to give/sell/trade to me so I can restore this Silver label? If not does anyone know how to replace keys on the old style breadbin keyboards? Even a breadbin 64 keyboard would be better than nothing in the meanwhile.
mons2b

Re: Vic 20 Silver label - Trying to restore need assistance

Postby nzswift on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:18 am

I do have a spare PET keyboard I think
nzswift

Postby mons2b on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:50 am

nzswift wrote:I do have a spare PET keyboard I think

Hi NZswift is it a Vic20 Pet keyboard or a Pet pet keyboard. The Vic pet keyboard has the function keys down the side. Even so I think the key parts might be the same so might be able to swap a key mechanism over. That would be fantastic. I cobled together a C64C keyboard for it but it looks wrong in the Vic.
mons2b

Postby nzswift on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 am

To be honest I'm not sure they are PET keyboards but from a CBM 8032. One has a black keys and big plug on the end of it like a C128D...
nzswift

Return to Repair and Restoration