I didn't have anything else planned for this evening, and decided enough was enough and that I needed to have a working Commodore 64!
I have a stack of the monkeys, and not a single one of them behaved properly. After some poking I found two of the five I have showed at least a glimmer of life. The other three look pretty dead - no display output whatsoever and dim power LEDs. The two that DID look almost lively had garbage screens at best, rolling wrong coloured screens at worst. Weirdly, both seemed to start better when the 1541 was connected...
After having to build a new AV cable (how the heck does something this simple fail?!) I started running through some diagnostic check sheets with great success - one machine had a failed PLA, the other a failed VIC, both of which I acquired from the other dead machines. Huzzah!
Sadly the machine that had the failed PLA still isn't stable - after a few minutes of running, it'll freeze up. I'm suspecting CIAs, but as none of them are socketed, I'm going to have to desolder some to try out. The other machine however came up 100% - it's stable and loads software correctly. It just needs a good Retr0brighting and should be fit for general use! Very satisfying seeing a previously deceased machine come back to life.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.