"IT'S BEHIND YOU: the making of a computer game"

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

"IT'S BEHIND YOU: the making of a computer game"

Postby kevman3d on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm

In case anybody is interested, Bob Pape who wrote R-Type for the ZX Speccy has released a PDF book of his story called "IT'S BEHIND YOU: the making of a computer game". 136 pages, and while I've just speed-flicked through it, looks an interesting read when I get time.

R-Type on the speccy was pretty authentic - I recall many an hour playing it and being wowed by how close it was to the Arcade version.

http://bizzley.com/
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
Youtube
kevman3d

Re: "IT'S BEHIND YOU: the making of a computer game"

Postby Shayde on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:55 am

I finally got around to reading this. Apart from his annoying habit of using back-slash, it's well written. :)

The way he was treated in the games industry sounds pretty typical, and it hasn't really changed much from what I know. I was very briefly in the industry and, as usual, it was long hours, low pay, and managers that didn't care about you - yet strangely I still remember that time fondly.

I never used a Spectrum though (I moved to a C64 after owning a ZX81), so I never played the version of R-Type described in this story. I don't think I even played the C64 version.

Still, a good read. I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories, having read Masters of Doom, and The Soul of a New Machine previously.
Shayde

Re: "IT'S BEHIND YOU: the making of a computer game"

Postby kevman3d on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories

I'm terrible when it comes to reading these days... I don't tend to read a lot (though I do flick through things and take a little in) - I'm much more a video watcher...

I'm waiting on the "From Bedrooms to Billions" doco to finish and be released (I think Jan 2014 - not too far off now). I've thrown a few extra $$ to get the 4 hour special edition - its definitely a reminder of those times in the 1980's when gaming was exciting and new, and its great to hear a little about how things were from the programmers behind the games (rather then recall those news stories from an issue of some computer magazine)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
Youtube
kevman3d

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming