SaV64 pre-orders

Please post details of what you have to sell, swap or to give away

SaV64 pre-orders

Postby michaelacooper on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:44 am

Hi all,

I'm about to pre-order one of these devices that prevent the Commodore power supplies from killing chips. Additionally they can use more modern wall warts to power the computer.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=756992

I understand that I can order up to three for the same shipping (to be confirmed). If so, is anyone else interested? I'd need to be paid before ordering and I'd like people to be able to pick up in Auckland. The shipping would be split but I will not be taking a margin for myself.

I'll be ordering maybe today or tomorrow. Sorry for the short notice.

Cheers,

Mike
michaelacooper

Re: SaV64 pre-orders

Postby michaelacooper on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 am

The shipping is not insured so we would share that risk also.
michaelacooper

Postby michaelacooper on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Order is about to be placed. Shared shipping is no longer available.
michaelacooper

Postby mons2b on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:56 pm

HI Michael. If your using any original power supply its likely that device will just immediately say your getting too much voltage. If not then very soon. A cheaper option is using a multi meter on the din plug pins, I assume you have already done that and its currently ok? I think the average user here would be frustrated to buy such a device and have it immediately indicate they have a bad psu. Its highly likely. Better to spend the money on a inline regulator attachment or a new psu I think. According to technical documents I have anything over 5.1 volts on the 5 volt line is out of spec. I have found a c64 will run on a lot less than that. NZ has quite strict PSU regulations. Technically any imported power supply has to meet NZ standards to be plugged into our mains. The ones I have seen online are not very cheap because of the need of the dual DC and AC output. The cheapest one I saw (none are approved) was 30 USD plus shipping and was intended for the 1541-II disk drive which uses 5v dc and 9v DC. That cant be used on a c64 as it need AC on the 9v input. Its possible to bodge together two power packs but most wont want to do that.
mons2b

Postby michaelacooper on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. That particular PS is putting out too much voltage on the DC line but I have others I wish to use. Good to know about the 5.1v. Others have indicated when it gets to 5.5v then it’s too high. I'll stick to 5.1. One of the things I liked about this device is it has additional inputs for the DC and AC feeds so the DC feed can be replaced separately and I can continue to use a Commodore PS for the AC line. I may end up getting one of Ray Carlsen's power supplies or alternatively I have a friend who designs and builds portable substations (in a 40+ foot container footprint) and the like who can make something up so that is also an option. Given the time to source the bits and build though getting from Ray is not that expensive.

I have a 3 other original power supplies already though so I'll probably end up using those with the SaV64. They are good now but there is always a time where they go from good to not. That’s what I wish to protect against. I've also got a C128 power supply that I understand do not experience the same issue (and no associated C128, just a 128D with internal PS). If I can find an adapter for not too much I may use that as it has higher current and is better for when some hungry components are being driven by the C64. I'd just rather use a c64 PS.

I like the idea of an inline regulator. To limit the voltage to 5v or so? As I'm not sure of the issue that causes the PS to go out of spec I wonder if once the issue has begun if it will get worse rapidly and is a sign of impending further failure? Have you had experience with this? And is someone producing these inline regulators?

Thanks for taking the time.

Mike
michaelacooper

Return to Vintage Items Available