Don't use fastway if you value your vintage gear

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Don't use fastway if you value your vintage gear

Postby matsondawson on Sat May 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Unbelievable, fastway are so useless, they delivered me an acorn monitor and stuck it down the side of the house.
I was wondering where the monitor was and checked their website, apparently delivered.
Have a look around the house and find the monitor has been sitting in the open in torrential rain for 3 days!
Not the first time they've pulled this.
I'll stick it in front of a dehumidifier for a few days, hopefully it will be fine.
Our front door is covered and it would have been perfect in there.
Complete muppets the lot of them!
matsondawson

Re: Don't use fastway if you value your vintage gear

Postby arjoll on Sat May 04, 2013 10:48 pm

When I worked for the IT offshoot of an accounting firm we used Courierpost - always met delivery times, no issues with damage etc. Then it was bought out by another company, who decided Fastway was the way to go. After various random delivery issues and taking 4 days to deliver a CD from Invercargill to Queenstown I went and bought a pile of Courierpost tickets! I'd never recommend Fastway, and haven't touched them since I left this other company.

Generally I use NZ Couriers now, mainly because of customer service - it's hit an miss at the local Courierpost depot, but NZC are always friendly, and gave my company an account straight off which meant far more reasonable pricing.
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby xjas on Mon May 06, 2013 11:55 am

My only experience with "Fast"way had them taking 10 days to deliver something from Grey Lynn to the CBD in Auckland. A distance of all of 3.5 km. What a bunch of fools.

(In all fairness, it probably went through their sorting centre, which is in... Onehunga. So call it maybe 8 km. Sheesh.)
Last edited by xjas on Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xjas

Postby manuka on Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Speaking of bad courier services, has anyone used TradeMe's pass the parcel service? I had a look into it until one of our volunteers who sells a bit of stuff on TradeMe tried it out and complained of a rubbish service - it took him days to get someone out to pick up his parcel and there were some other issues as well.
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Yes, if I see "Pass the Parcel" on an auction, it reduces my chances of bidding.

My personal favourite is when a courier left me a card to call. I went online and organised redelivery. One day after it was due to arrive, I got another card to call, so this time I rang up and talked to an operator and organised a day for a no-signature delivery. A day after the organised day, I got another card to call. Eventually I got the package, but good lord.

That's just one example. I had similar experiences on other occasions, and redelivery was always the day AFTER the day I'd selected.

I've also had friends who have used it an not been impressed, including one where they'd organised a pickup and left the house - only to find the courier didn't collect it when they said they would and the product (crayons) spent the afternoon in the sun melting.

Fastway I only use when desperate - e.g. price. Most times it goes well for me but there have been a few moments I've been quite annoyed.

I've never once had a bad experience with CourierPost - so that is what I stick with.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby caluser2000 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Bummer matsondawson

On the flip side I've had quite a bit of Acorn stuff sent to me via Fastway couriers. Usually it's turned up the day after I've payed for it from Napier. The seller makes sure every thing is well wrapped in sealed bags and shredded paper.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Return to General