Switch to full style

Apple ||e boot up screen

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Apple ||e boot up screen

by manuka » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi all, we had an Aplle ||e turn up this morning. Powers on without releasing any magic smoke. I get the words Apple ||e appear on the screen but no cursor which seems to be what is supposed to happen, I don't have any floppies to test any further.

Is this standard ||e behaviour?
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Re: Apple ||e boot up screen

by tezza » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:35 pm

It's standard behaviour IF the Disk controller card is inserted and there are no drives or boot disks. Check to see if there is a disk controller card and remove it.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by manuka » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks Tezza, removed the disk controller card and got a cursor. Keyboard works and looks in pretty good nick. I guess we will be putting this up on trademe next Wednesday.
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

by RonTurner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Control + Reset to get prompt when disk controller card is installed.
]

Would you like me to drop off a tested/working Apple II 5.25 Floppy Disk ?
RonTurner

by manuka » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Sure thing RonTurner, as long as it's not out of your way.
manuka

by RonTurner » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm

I will be in the area Tues/Wed, will drop off some floppies :-)
RonTurner

by manuka » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 am

manuka

by manuka » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I did find a boot disk for a ||e and it kinda boots up albeit with a garbled screen. Interested to see if I get a better result with your disk. Many of the disks in the box have visable surface mould so no surprise I'm getting a little weirdness I suppose.

Last edited by manuka on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manuka

by RonTurner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Not a problem, I have some here, you can keep them for the auction :D

Q: What do you call an Apple IIe after the smoke comes out of the PSU ?

A: An Apple Poo-e

The disk you want is Copy 2+ this can copy a disk in two swaps, also nibble copy, has options to verify disks and format disks
the important thing being the format option as Apple DOS does not have a format command for preparing floppies for use.

The lack of a format command is what will leave a vintage computer owner in the lurch :wink:
RonTurner

by Gibsaw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 pm

RonTurner wrote:The disk you want is Copy 2+ this can copy a disk in two swaps, also nibble copy, has options to verify disks and format disks
the important thing being the format option as Apple DOS does not have a format command for preparing floppies for use.

The ROM's include basic sector read/write and a bootloader. Once DOS loads from disk, the command is "INIT". (Any DOS3.3 bootable disk can do this)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

by tezza » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:34 pm

manuka wrote:I did find a boot disk for a ||e and it kinda boots up albeit with a garbled screen. Interested to see if I get a better result with your disk. Many of the disks in the box have visable surface mould so no surprise I'm getting a little weirdness I suppose.

Is the weird screen only in 80 columns? 80 column RAM?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by RonTurner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 pm

That is the system disk menu in 80 column mode in second photo by the look of it.

I have made up some disks, including:

Copy 2+ 8.2
Locksmith 6.0
Karateka
Tetris 2
Dos Boss
Solo Flight

I highly recommend you run Tetris 2 and puzzle over how did they make two track synth audio on an apple 2?

Copy 2+ and locksmith provide a wide range of disk tools, do everything like: undelete,verify,format,disk recovery, sector tools , drive speed check etc.

Looks like there is something wrong with the 80 card, it may just need reseating.

That's a colour composite monitor, the computer and monitor will be NTSC that's why the monitor is good to have since most brand monitors are PAL
RonTurner

by Gibsaw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 am

tezza wrote:Is the weird screen only in 80 columns? 80 column RAM?

certainly looks that way.
Gibsaw

by manuka » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 am

Yip I took the ram out clean the contacts and reseated it and the screen is coming up perfect now. Thanks guys :)
manuka

by Gibsaw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

RonTurner wrote:I highly recommend you run Tetris 2 and puzzle over how did they make two track synth audio on an apple 2?

... and then run Music Toolkit and watch it do four voices. (It's doing PCM with the speaker softswitch. CPU heavy but it works.)
Gibsaw

Next