Switch to full style

Repairing an Acorn Electron

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Repairing an Acorn Electron

by matsondawson » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:00 pm

What a palava, the people who wrote the ROM on these things should be shot!
If they keyboard has a fault the whole thing just dies with screen corruption, not even a how's your father!
I've spent two days fixing an electron, and every time I think it's fixed something dies again, all keyboard related.
4 keys and a weird copper ribbon (almost as crap as the connector on a spectrum keyboard) had to be replaced from a donor electron.
matsondawson

Re: Repairing an Acorn Electron

by matsondawson » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Also, can someone tell me if the electron can output colour on the composite video connector? I get colour via RF but not composite.
matsondawson

by tezza » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Matt,

I know nothing about these machine so can't be much help. Does the keyboard work in a similar way to a BBC? Documents for the latter might be easier to find on the web.

That is unusual though. In most machines the only symptom of a faulty keyboard is that keys don't work.

"donor electron". I'm not sure if that was a deliberate pun or not but I like it. :)

I've just had an exciting time (-NOT) regarding a keyboard and one of my Colour Genies. But that's another story...
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

by matsondawson » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I noticed last night on my BBC Master some of the keys aren't working, opening it I found it uses the same key switches as the Electron.
Does anyone have a spare keyboard for a bbc or electron lying around that I can use?
matsondawson