If it can't be repaired...

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

If it can't be repaired...

Postby kevman3d on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:50 pm

...then turn it into a display piece. :D

The Warehouse had a sale on picture frames (well, all kinds of stuff as they do over Waitangi weekend). Found this nice inch-deep frame for about $13. I'm just tossing up how I lay out this old unrepairable machine before I mount it on the backboard - I plan to print some kind of nice card before I do (that's the cheap white paper that came with the frame) and a small info panel to go below... This was more my 'thinking about it' photo...

Luckily I can use the case screws from the speccy to mount it non-destructively (I'm only mounting the top, putting the base away safely in a box with the other speccys).

The PCB is worse for wear - a little rusty in places, some wear and tear on the tracks and I replaced the TR4/5 with new transistors when trying to repair it so I may cut them off as they look kinda messy. Hopefully a clean will help it look a little prettier.

So there you go - in case you wanted ideas for arts-n-craft projects to do in your spare time and save an old PCB/case/set of chips from going in a bin... Plus its a nice way to present something that can be a conversation piece when you have young(er) people visiting... :)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: If it can't be repaired...

Postby LilJoe on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Love it :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby tezza on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Very cool! :)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Ok, finished it... I used a handful of mobo spacers to mount the PCB above the back board (I popped the top off the RF to expose it, but I may put that back as it feels like its missing when you can't see the cover). The background was a high-res (4k) scan of the ZX Spectrum circuit diagram I found online that I printed on an A3 sheet of card so I had something of interest to sit behind the machine. Wrote up a few small details, printed and glue-sticked on the bottom...

I don't know what to do with the very thin piece of glass that came with it - the speccy is about 10mm above the frame, so I could add a few small clips or something to hold it above (it looks quite nice with glass in front - even when I sat it on top) otherwise the glass can probably go in the recycling... Someone suggested a sheet of acrylic and mount it with screw to sit just above... It won't keep dust out, but it'll at least keep sticky fingers from prodding it.

But looks ok without it nonetheless... Now, where in the house should I hang it - I could take down the wedding photo's... Ahem. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby snuci on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 am

That looks awesome! Great job. It's inspiring me to frame a KIM-1 that I've been meaning to do.
snuci

Postby tezza on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 am

Very nice. Great job!
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 pm

snuci wrote:That looks awesome! Great job. It's inspiring me to frame a KIM-1 that I've been meaning to do.

If you can find nice simple frames cheap enough, may as well make the most of that old hardware and turn it into artwork for the office wall. I was just lucky the warehouse got in a collection of A3 sized frames (about an inch deep on the edges - it was the deep frames I was trying to find so was in luck) that were cheap... But could have been mounted on a flat frame as well now I think of it.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Carcenomy on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:42 pm

You're inspiring me too, I've got a few ridiculous motherboards that deserve to be mounted and hung... a nice TMC dual Pentium board, my old ASUS Striker Extreme, a Commodore 64...
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SeanKennedy on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Hmmm... Several years back I set aside a pile of ICs thinking I could build some art with them. Completely forgot about it until I started clearing out the garage.

So, after an afternoon of sawing, sanding and gluing, I present Intel/AMD cube:

Each face is opposite like a dice - 8088 vs Pentium, 80186 vs 486DX33 and 286 vs 386DX40.

There was a bit of drama when I tried compressing a dowell into the wooden centre cube by sticking the epoxied CPU into the vice, Heard a crunch but could see any damage until the CPU fell off - exposing the die. A bit of chipping away and I stuck that one on backwards - which, due to the size, looks even more awesome.

SeanKennedy

Postby tezza on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Totally cool. Thanks for posting that up. It would make a nice gift for a techie.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby kevman3d on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:45 pm

lol! Very cool... Now I'm inspired to find more old broken stuff I can mount on the wall...like a nerdy "wild game hunter" :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby SeanKennedy on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Do eiiitt!!!
SeanKennedy

Postby kevman3d on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:04 pm

I got suckered by a sale at the Warehouse with cheap (but deep) picture frames again - in fact, this weekend its probably worth popping down to your local (tho not everybody has one) Warehouse and check...

These are small ones ($6, but the second one was half price), ideal size for a classic cassette case perhaps... Problem is that all my tapes are in great condition, and whether they should be turned into artwork is unlikely, though I may be inclined to find some kind of non-destructive method to mount one or two safely so I can remove them later. Kinda 'keep the safe, but also nice to look at'. Hmmm...

A quicky play with some bluetack to see if it would actually look any good...

That said, small IC's could be nice in here - classic processors of the 80's - If I can find a faulty 6502, and I do have a spare Z80 (well, a few modern Z80C - though they look pretty much the same cosmetically). Thinking... :roll:

They also had larger frames on sale too, but I figure I shouldn't go too crazy buying stuff without a plan of what to do just yet.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby SeanKennedy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I wonder how many hints I have to leave around the house before she cottons on to getting me one of these...
SeanKennedy

Postby kevman3d on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am

SeanKennedy wrote:I wonder how many hints I have to leave around the house before she cottons on to getting me one of these...

Just set her browser's default home page to that link instead... :wink:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to General