SIO2SD for Atari 8-bits. Any one else got one?

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Re: SIO2SD for Atari 8-bits. Any one else got one?

Postby TheM on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:53 pm

kevman3 wrote:At under $800 these days for a nice little 3D printer, they've definitely getting more affordable, making them an ideal options to prototype and play with stuff. :D

Or 295 USD shipped:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Full ... 04108.html

:)
Last edited by TheM on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheM

Postby TheM on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:58 pm

kevman3d wrote:Have you got yours finished and working?

Not yet.

I spend some time staring at 1010 last weekend but haven't done much with it. The thing is big. Really big. I'm not really sure if I want to go down that route any more. I'll definitely gut it to get to SIO connectors but then I might just desolder one and then use a smaller project box to pack everything in.
TheM

Postby TheM on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:01 pm

kevman3d wrote:In fact, just spotted this which could be interesting... A global 3D printing community... (including NZ locations)

https://www.3dhubs.com/

One coworker used 3D printing services of this guy and was happy with results:
https://www.3dhubs.com/auckland/hubs/mindkits/3dprint
TheM

Postby kevman3d on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:29 pm

TheM wrote:One coworker used 3D printing services of this guy and was happy with results:
https://www.3dhubs.com/auckland/hubs/mindkits/3dprint

Yup - same guy I've had something printed at - Just waiting got it to arrive to see what the quality is like (apparently its shipped - which means hopefully it'll be here tomorrow). I figured a simple test with a tiny 2" tall Atari joystick, which should look nice on my desk at work along with my other figurines. (3D Print came to NZ$21.65 - including postage and delivery)

btw, Best-electronics sent me a pricing for the Atari SIO cables. Have to make a minimum order of US$20 (hence 2 cables), and there were two shipping options - An Insured, priority mail option (7-11 days) at $US45, the other a US$17.95 non-insured mail option (15-25 days)... Just waiting on payday and will look at that cheaper option of course.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:26 pm

FYI - Thanks to TheM for his code tweaks, the SIO2Arduino project works fairly well... What I found after many a corrupted crash is that what doesn't work is that my 600XL is a basic 16k model.

After watching the machine go whacky multiple times, I realised everything I was attempting to load required 32-64K... The few games that worked (well, one to be honest) were all good, though I've been getting corrupted video (like AV issues, where the screen becomes vertical lines) so I don't know if its the SIO device (likely) or the Atari is about to have a heart attack that's the issue. Could also be the rather dodgy TV set too...

Unfortunately I missed out on the 1010 tape drive I was after, so I'll try and find an alternate case for this project. :)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby TheM on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I got it working with my 130XE!

When I first turned everything on I got repeating "BOOT ERROR." message on Atari.
I hit "Reset" key on Atari and got what looked like a very corrupted loading screen image.
I then hit "Reset" key again while holding "Option" key -- now got clear loading screen (was using "Alley Cat" XEX). After a while it loaded successfully and I was able to play the game.

I'm putting everything into 410 case (still very much a work in progress, I suck at mechanical stuff). 410 comes with partial SIO cable -- only 5 wires. SIO2Arduino needs 4 wires and 3 of those match with 410's cable. One pin needed moving but luckily SIO pins can be pulled out and moved, similar to Molex connectors. You just have to figure out how to push the tab that holds the pin in place in order to pull it out.
TheM

Postby SeanKennedy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 pm

TheM wrote:
kevman3 wrote:At under $800 these days for a nice little 3D printer, they've definitely getting more affordable, making them an ideal options to prototype and play with stuff. :D

Or 295 USD shipped:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Full ... 04108.html

:)

I got a Prusa i3 from Ali a year ago for similar coin - but didn't have free filament, SD or LCD - that's a good price!

Used an older style hot-end though (New one looks like a MakerBot replica?) - and to be fair I've only managed to get a couple of usable prints off it due to a lot of trial and error in getting the hot-end set up. The laser cut acrylic for the parts looks a lot nicer than the 3D printed bits (which required a fair bit of tidying up to use) - Might have to upgrade!

Mine came with minimal build instructions - lots of following the pictures and a bit of Chinglish interpretation - and no build manifest, so it was a bit hit and miss. Oh - and one trick for young players - the motherboard as delivered comes blank - you have to fire up an Arduino IDE and load the program onto it first - won't work out of the box.
SeanKennedy

Postby TheM on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:37 pm

SeanKennedy wrote:The laser cut acrylic for the parts looks a lot nicer than the 3D printed bits (which required a fair bit of tidying up to use) - Might have to upgrade!

I've read reviews and a lot of people are complaining that acrylic either arrives broken and cracks during assembly. And with all those cut bits replacing printed ones these look more like Graber i3:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Graber_i3

I've been building one on my own for many moons now, end nowhere near in sight yet.

SeanKennedy wrote:Oh - and one trick for young players - the motherboard as delivered comes blank - you have to fire up an Arduino IDE and load the program onto it first - won't work out of the box.

Where'd you get yours from?
TheM

Postby SeanKennedy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Looks like Heacent. Doing it again, I'd use Loctite on the nuts and Superglue for the horizontal bearings in the printed bits - these ones don't have the circlip cavities. Oh - and the quality of the threaded rod was dubious, but easily replaceable from Mitre-10. A bit soft and didn't travel well the way it was packed. Running a die down it didn't clean it up much.
SeanKennedy

Postby nama on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:39 am

I have a SDrive Micro.
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/192131 ... bit-atari/
It's not quite as flash as the SIO2SD as it's missing these screen, but a very impressive piece of hardware for my Atari 400.

Phil
Retro computing at: http://www.neoncluster.com
nama

Postby Zybex17 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:58 am

Hi Guys!
I'd like to build one of this Amazing SIO2Arduino. I have seen that some software modifications are been done by some of you, and for this reason i have some questions. The first one, is related to files navigation. The original version seem to use one key only, to pass from one file to another, so, it isn't possible to back on the previous file, am i right? If yes, i noticed that someone has modificed the software to use the LCD+Keypad shield, so, i'm wondering if the keypad is used or not. If yes, is it possible to have your version of the software please? It's difficult for me to modify the original software, so, some help would be really appreciated.
I need to build the device on an Arduino Mega2560, and i have to buy the missing parts (SD reader\writer, LCD display etc...), your advices are wellcome. ;)
Please, let me know! Have a nice day guys!!
Zybex17

Postby SirMorris on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 am

I love this board. I had a few made back in the day, my own got ... implanted :D

http://arduinonut.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... ecial.html

Using the mechanics from a tape drive seemed like a good idea at the time ;)
SirMorris

Previous

Return to General