What era did power supplies become switching?

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

What era did power supplies become switching?

Postby shild on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 am

For desktop computers. About what era did power supplies become switching? Was it sometime in the early 80's?
shild

Re: What era did power supplies become switching?

Postby tezza on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:19 pm

That's a good question, but one I don't know the answer to myself. I imagine some Googling research will supply the answer but yea, I imagine the change happened around the late 70's/early 80s.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby shild on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:33 am

tezza wrote:That's a good question, but one I don't know the answer to myself. I imagine some Googling research will supply the answer but yea, I imagine the change happened around the late 70's/early 80s.

Me too. I was watching some of your video's trying to learn about that. Looks like your 5150 is switching. Interesting how the power supply looks like it has 2 fans? How about that Kaypro? Is that a switching supply?
shild

Postby TRS80 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:59 pm

shild wrote:How about that Kaypro? Is that a switching supply?

My Kaypro 4/83 and Philip Avery's Kaypro 2 both use switching supplies. The TRS-80's from the Model III (1980) onwards use switching supplies. The TRS-80 Model 1 (1977) does not, nor is the Dick Smith System 80. The Apple II (1977) does and I heard on a recent podcast (Drop III inches from memory) that the Apple II was a very early adopter of a switching supply and they had some challenges getting it UL approved because at the time the standards people were not familiar with switching supplies.
Wanted: S-100 Bus components - please PM me if you have any. They don't even need to work!

SBC6120 / PDP11 + VAX / TRS-80 / Kaypro / Northstar / Home Brew Z80 / BBC / Amstrad / Commodore
http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog
TRS80

Postby shild on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 pm

TRS80 wrote:
shild wrote:How about that Kaypro? Is that a switching supply?

My Kaypro 4/83 and Philip Avery's Kaypro 2 both use switching supplies. The TRS-80's from the Model III (1980) onwards use switching supplies. The TRS-80 Model 1 (1977) does not, nor is the Dick Smith System 80. The Apple II (1977) does and I heard on a recent podcast (Drop III inches from memory) that the Apple II was a very early adopter of a switching supply and they had some challenges getting it UL approved because at the time the standards people were not familiar with switching supplies.

Oh alright. Sounds like this all happened a little earlier than I thought... So do you have both kinds of TRS-80's?
shild

Postby TRS80 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:45 pm

So do you have both kinds of TRS-80's

Sorry I missed your message. I don't have all the TRS-80 models (if you don't get into the variants within a model there are about 20 different machines that have a TRS-80 logo) but I do have a Model 1, III, 4 and 4p - the classic Radio Shack Z80 machines.
Wanted: S-100 Bus components - please PM me if you have any. They don't even need to work!

SBC6120 / PDP11 + VAX / TRS-80 / Kaypro / Northstar / Home Brew Z80 / BBC / Amstrad / Commodore
http://www.quicktrip.co.nz/jaqblog
TRS80

Postby takintosh on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 pm

tezza wrote:That's a good question, but one I don't know the answer to myself. I imagine some Googling research will supply the answer but yea, I imagine the change happened around the late 70's/early 80s.

I would say in the 8os. Then it some what happened again in the 2000s. Especially when Mac started gaining popularity.
takintosh

Return to General