Bits and Bytes Magazine, Issue 8 (May 1983)

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Bits and Bytes Magazine, Issue 8 (May 1983)

Postby pcull on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Gidday again,

I saw the Bits and Bytes covers on the site, which reminded me that back when I was still learning to program, I wrote and published a machine-language program to implement two-page (fast) graphics on the PET. I remember that I hardly left the Christchurch Polytech library, except for classes or hacking on the PDP 11s, that year - and as well as learning programming from scratch with the Strathclyde teach-yourself BASIC course, I also picked up 6502 assembler fairly quickly too (sigh, those were the good old days when we had the machines' memory map and ROM routine access points and could understand exactly what the computer did).

Anyway, looking through the covers, I guess that my article came out in Issue 8, May 1983 and wonder if anyone has a copy of this, either in physical format or online. I'd love to see what I wrote again after all these years!

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Paul
pcull

Re: Bits and Bytes Magazine, Issue 8 (May 1983)

Postby pcull on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Doh! Replying to myself already, but I only just realized that by clicking on the cover I can download the whole magazine in zipped PDF.

Thanks so much to who-ever put them all up.

And, yes, my article is in there.

Cool!

Paul
pcull

Re: Bits and Bytes Magazine, Issue 8 (May 1983)

Postby tezza on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 am

You're welcome.

A few members of this forum have a few listings or articles in NZ Bits and Bytes. I even have one myself, although in the 1987 issue so it's not up on the site. I stopped adding scanned issues after 1985 as in my opinion the articles started to become very business oriented and dominated by PC (+clone) articles and reviews. So less interesting...at least to me.

However, those later mags do have some interesting historical themes like the rise of LAN technologies, BBSs, the Amiga and Atari 16 bitters (and further developments in the PC and Mac line) so I might scan up a few more in the future.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to General