Te Papa considering video gaming exhibition

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Te Papa considering video gaming exhibition

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 am

Te Papa is considering hosting a computer gaming exhibition. If you think this is a good idea, go fill out this survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TePapaonFacebook
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Re: Te Papa considering video gaming exhibition

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I have posted the non-demographic questions to hopefully stimulate some discussion. (Don't enter a decimal point in the price question. It thinks you're entering a negative amount and fails the validation) :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. How would you describe your interest in video games? When we say video games, we mean games on consoles such as X-Box, Wii, computer games, online games, arcade games and games on handheld devices.

4. On average, how often do you play video games on a console, computer or other gaming device?

Te Papa is considering an exhibition about video games. To help us decide if there is sufficient interest in such an exhibition, this question describes what it would be about, and then asks whether you would or would not attend such an exhibition, if it was held at Te Papa in Wellington.

Game Masters will showcase the work and creative minds of some of the world’s best video game makers. A selection of these games illustrated on the right.

The interactive exhibition will present the work of 10 to 15 leading video game designers, featuring works in arcade, console, PC and online formats.

Visitors will see original artwork from the games and discover the creative process behind games development, including character development, 3D modelling, and script development.

People will be able to play some of the most important games of a generation from Donkey Kong to Starcraft II. They can also experience some of the latest video games technology, including recent multi-player games.

5. Based on the description and images above, how likely is it that you would visit the exhibition if it was on display at Te Papa in Wellington?

6. If Te Papa decides to proceed with this exhibition, admission charges will apply, i.e., it will not be free. Based on what you know about this exhibition, how likely is it that you would be willing to pay to see it?

7. What admission price would you personally be willing to pay to see this exhibition?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YetiSeti

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:24 pm

lizardb0y wrote: If you think this is a good idea

Would the Wellington region and community of vintage computer/gaming collectors be interested if there was a chance to participate in the exhibition? It would be great chance to showcase the computers and software which are the origins of the modern gaming machines. Some might even think that the ideas and principles are pretty similar to the contemporary offerings.
YetiSeti

Postby tezza on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm

YetiSeti wrote:
lizardb0y wrote: If you think this is a good idea

Would the Wellington region and community of vintage computer/gaming collectors be interested if there was a chance to participate in the exhibition? It would be great chance to showcase the computers and software which are the origins of the modern gaming machines. Some might even think that the ideas and principles are pretty similar to the contemporary offerings.

If I was asked I would be interested. However, the logistics might be difficult (Palmy is still some distance from Wellington) and I won't be interested until next year. Just too many other things going on in my life at the moment.

Good to visit you down in Dunedin the other week BTW Clinton. An astounding collection you have!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby YetiSeti on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Well, the impression that forms in my mind is the potential for it to come across as more of an industry sponsored showcase. Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I find it harder to pay a higher ticket price for an exhibition if its delivery was more akin to a promotional/recruitment expo for the companies and educational institutions. If there was a narrative to the exhibition which provided a unified experience of the "creative process behind games development" as opposed to a number of individual displays/exhibits I would be very interested in going along to see.

The proposed exhibition will be great for the current generation of gamers (which stretches more widely across age and gender demographics now) so I think it will be very successful and I would like to see it go ahead. I guess older games may be demonstrated on emulators although I do hope they might use original consoles/computers (if they go back as far as the 80s if indeed the 'important games of a generation' are shown). I wonder how much consideration will be given to the historical aspect of gaming.

What interests me is if Te Papa is willing to consider a video games exhibition, they might also be receptive to a vintage/retro computer and gaming exhibition as well. A vintage exhibition could provide access to a more unique and less accessible experience than a contemporary gaming exhibition where the games are already in the homes, developers information is readily available on the net and gaming lounges are there for those who like to play in a social setting.

Side-by-side exhibitions of a modern gaming and vintage gaming would be fantastic. This is what I'd really pay for (well, maybe double digits). As it is, the proposed exhibition is just a behind the scenes. A vintage/retro exhibition would provide a behind the scenes of behind the scenes experience.

I just found this link to read through this weekend for the collectors : http://museuminternmusings.blogspot.com/2011/05/planning-for-exhibition-narrative.html
YetiSeti

Postby Harvey on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Does Te Papa even know about the history of videogaming (and computer games) in New Zealand?

The same question applies to the various museums around the country. Do they know our own history, in this area?
Harvey

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:10 am

My expecation would be that they don't, and would probably try to find experts in that field, do some interviews, invite guests etc.
Same with most other museums in the country unless there is an enthusiast in the staff somewhere.

They are very downplayed despite their huge effect on people and how we live/trade) Usually what I do find though, is telephones of each era. I wonder when that will start to change (if at all?)
I'm sure there is quite of a few parents out there who would like to show their kids what they used - back when pies were a dollar and gas was affordable.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Harvey on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Even some staff member whose hobby was/is computers - may not know the whole story - unless they do some research and digging around.

I would guess it can go all the way from ignorant (not knowing) to being misinformed.

I have heard all too often from the enthusiasts themselves - who have done some programming - say, Oh I could have written a game or two ... but I never quite got around to it. Downplaying what is required to complete a game project. And usually they are not talking about something that is graphics intensive - or played in real time, at a frantic pace...

If it was so easy (relatively) to program their own game - there would be untold games lurking in peoples' bedrooms or whatever, whether or not they were published/sold to the public.. But I don't think there'll be much in the way of 'forgotten silver' (forgotten games) gathering dust somewhere.. But there may be some game demos/prototypes - that was the beginning of a game - that never got past a demo stage. I can recall only seeing three - one by Stewart Lees (Wellington), Todd Gramstrup (Dunedin) and a project by James Webster (Dunedin) - they were respectively - an Atari 800 shoot 'em up (a very rough early demo), an Atari 800 golf game (in which the title screen looked brilliant - but the actual game was not in progress) - and An Amiga R-type clone, that looked brilliant in it's first level.
Perhaps there is a good chance of other such demo/prototypes to be found? Because I don't know what was going on in other parts of New Zealand - other than, there were keen enthusiasts doing their own thing - no doubt...
Harvey

Return to General