Off-Topic Forum?

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Is an "Off-Topic" forum desirable on this board?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Yes
7
88%
No
0
No votes
Undecided
1
13%
 
Total votes : 8

Off-Topic Forum?

Postby tezza on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi,

I've considering the idea of adding an "Off-Topic" forum for those of us who are regulars and may want to discuss issues somewhat wider than pre-pentium Vintage Computing. It's a good way to facilitate further socialisation and getting to know people. If such a forum was around, discussions on Google+ would have fitted nicely in here.

However, it's not without risk. Politics, extreme positions and viscious flame-wars has often eminated from an Off-topic forum splitting what was a friendly group of guys with a common interest into armed camps.

Personally, I'd like to try one if you feel we can self-regulate ourselves to avoid the above. If we can't then I guess I could always pull the plug on it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:12 pm

It's worth a crack.

Though my Google+ question had a point - I was keen to find other vintage computing enthusiasts who'd be keen to try out a "hangout" (Group video conference).

I'm still keen :)
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:50 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby gavo on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 pm

lizardb0y wrote:Though my Google+ question had a point - I was keen to find other vintage computing enthusiasts who'd be keen to try out a "hangout" (Group video conference).


Is there an Apple II client?
gavo
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby gavo on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:35 pm

tezza wrote:However, it's not without risk. Politics, extreme positions and viscious flame-wars has often eminated from an Off-topic forum splitting what was a friendly group of guys with a common interest into armed camps.


Honestly, given this is the NZ Vintage Computer Forums I'm surprised we dont have one and dont engage in such anti-social activity already - I mean it was such a big part of the BBS scene back in the day ;-)

But seriously, I'm undecided. One the one hand it might be quite good, but on the other hand - what you said. If you do decide to go with it, perhaps best to wait until after the rugby world cup has finished ;-)
gavo
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby lizardb0y on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:15 pm

gavo wrote:
tezza wrote:However, it's not without risk. Politics, extreme positions and viscious flame-wars has often eminated from an Off-topic forum splitting what was a friendly group of guys with a common interest into armed camps.


Honestly, given this is the NZ Vintage Computer Forums I'm surprised we dont have one and dont engage in such anti-social activity already - I mean it was such a big part of the BBS scene back in the day ;-)

But seriously, I'm undecided. One the one hand it might be quite good, but on the other hand - what you said. If you do decide to go with it, perhaps best to wait until after the rugby world cup has finished ;-)


Yep. Best to wait until after France have taken the Cup once again! :-P

(I just thought I'd dive in and get started...)
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:50 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby ZL2AOX on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 pm

:idea: an IRC channel is another possibility, if it could be integrated into the site.
ZL2AOX
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Palmerston North

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby WelshWizard on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:31 pm

One problem with of topic is we will end up talking about the World cup, who won the Americas cup, or golf , it might get even worse and end up talking about the latest Intel or AMD computer, which would be handy only if related to a emulator that works on them.
Maybe a forum topic for emulators!
WelshWizard
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am
Location: West Auckland

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby coogie on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes good idea Terry, i think it would add to the community in my humble opinion.
If it gets to out of hand or those French supporter's get to vocal you can always pull the pin ;-)
coogie
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Hamilton

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby lizardb0y on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 pm

coogie wrote:Yes good idea Terry, i think it would add to the community in my humble opinion.
If it gets to out of hand or those French supporter's get to vocal you can always pull the pin ;-)

I'm not a France supporter! I just know that we'll thrash Australia, see France in the final and blow it like we always do ;)
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:50 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I'd rather see a Vintage Gaming forum before Off-Topic, or at least just 'Other'. It divides nicely into Handheld's/Tabletops, Consoles, Computers. Other retro-gaming sites in NZ seem to have sunk under the weight of spam. Where else could one talk about Pyjamarama, Mutant Camels, Diggerbonk, or Sam Fox's, err.. pixels.
YetiSeti
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Off-Topic Forum?

Postby tezza on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Ok, I've added not one but three new forums to the board. One on vintage computer gaming, and a couple of Off-Topic forums. The latter includes one for non-vintage computing topics (1995 to present day) and the other is for anything else. Let's see how they go.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron