I bought a... this thing

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

I bought a... this thing

Postby xjas on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:29 am

After swearing up & down I was getting out of the gear-buying for a while, I... went and bought more gear.
I was vaguely looking for an A600, but this will do nicely.

I believe the CDTV is the only Amiga made a built-in MIDI interface as standard? This will work as the master sequencer for my music studio while I wait for my shipping container with all the rest to arrive. Figure I'll play around with Octamed and Music-X for a while.

^^ this is going to look a million times worse once I've hooked up all the cables.

You guys do NOT want to know how little I just spent on this thing. Everything works too!
xjas

Re: I bought a... this thing

Postby LilJoe on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:09 am

Nice find, The non-investor/historian in me wants to yell "Spray paint the monitor black" :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:17 am

Baaaahahahahahaha!!! The addiction strikes again. That is a very cool piece of kit though.

Looks a bit out of place though. What you need is one of those Sony PVM (Black and cubed shape) professional multi-protocol AV monitors that used to be right across the television industry.

That and a U-MAX video recorder and you'll be a state of the art TV editing suite for the early 1990's. :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby arjoll on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Gibsaw wrote:That and a U-MAX video recorder and you'll be a state of the art TV editing suite for the early 1990's. :)

U-Matic? I think that's more early 80's than early 90's :) By then I'd expect to see at least Betacam SP, or maybe S-VHS in semi-pro.
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:39 am

arjoll wrote:
Gibsaw wrote:That and a U-MAX video recorder and you'll be a state of the art TV editing suite for the early 1990's. :)

U-Matic? I think that's more early 80's than early 90's :) By then I'd expect to see at least Betacam SP, or maybe S-VHS in semi-pro.

Betacam SP was definitely better, but U-Matic survived in production right to the end alongside Betacam SP out of sheer ubiquity and volume of broadcast media produced.

As for S-VHS...Wash your mouth out. :)
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby arjoll on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:23 am

Gibsaw wrote:Betacam SP was definitely better, but U-Matic survived in production right to the end alongside Betacam SP out of sheer ubiquity and volume of broadcast media produced.p

Sounds like you almost certainly know more about it than me :) I didn't know there was that much U-Matic out there that late, but I've never been in the industry, just a geeky outside observer.

Gibsaw wrote:As for S-VHS...Wash your mouth out. :)

I said semi-pro! Wedding video producers, that kind of thing - oh, and regional TV!
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby xjas on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:38 am

^^ Hahaha, I got it from a guy who had retired from his business doing ... video filming & editing, specializing in wedding videos.
(He used an Amiga 2000 with a Video Toaster for the main processing, which was gone already. Not sure what this one was for in his setup.)

(Incidentally when my cousin and I went to the same tech-oriented high school in the mid-'90s, he was in the film program, and had his very own Amiga 2000, with a ton of upgrades, games, and... a Video Toaster - which was utterly absurd for a 17-18 year old in 1996! I was mad jealous. I conversely got stuffed into the desktop publishing program where I got to learn Aldus Pagemaker & web 1.0 design with Aldus Pagemill, for Windows 3.1, as taught by an angry & bitter man who thought 'programming' meant the microwave and the only thing 'fun' that computers were good for was virtual fishing. Yep, that sure proved useful later on in life.)

That aside aside... back to My First Amiga, which is awesome. Was listening to mods with Protracker on it all morning. Everything seems to work except the floppy drives which sound like this (direct link in case Photob*cket is being an ass). They both do that - anyone want to guess if this is fixable? I don't want to mess around with them too much and risk damaging my disks though.

It runs CDs just fine (most of the time) though so as soon as I figure out how to burn my own and make them bootable I should be good to go. But would be nice to have the floppy working for saving data. I'm looking into this USB floppy emulator as a replacement.

Looks like I'm going to need some upgrades, I want Kickstart 3.1 and some more RAM so I can run Octamed Soundstudio, and maybe an 020. Just modest stuff. :mrgreen: Actually I'm open to recommendations.
xjas

Return to General