Transfering MFM HDD contents

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Transfering MFM HDD contents

Postby Clym5 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Please forgive me for asking about what I assume to be common knowledge for collectors and such!

I've got a laptop with a MFM hard drive in it and a 720k disk drive. I was planning to copy some of the files off it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I've heard of LapLink and INTERLINK, but the small bit of research I've done always assumes I run MS-DOS 6.22. I'm running 3.21. Not sure if there's an issue there or not.

Essentially, what's your preferred method?

EDIT: While I'm at it, what's the best version of DOS for a 8086 CPU and 640k of RAM? If there is a singular best, that is.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Re: Transfering MFM HDD contents

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 am

LapLink (you'll want LapLink 3 for remote upload) and Interlink should both be fine on an old version of DOS.

However I do this on a regular basis, and the tool I find the nicest to use is Fast Lynx 2 for DOS. Send me a PM if you need me to dig it out.

I made a video (albeit a bad one) about Fast Lynx 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDW7z3yCUxs which shows me using it to transfer files to an IBM 5160 with DOS 3.2 without using a single floppy disk.

If you're short on null modem cables I recommend these guys: http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/s ... ll%20modem (new cables - overnight delivery)

For a 640KB PC, for IBM I use PC DOS 3.2 (seemed to be a popular distribution from IBM) and for non-IBM I use MS DOS 3.3 (adds 1.44 floppy support). I avoid using a newer versions of DOS unless I need the newer features, as free conventional memory will suffer when you do not have upper memory or high memory to use.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby David on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 am

That Fast Lynx 2 looks handy SpidersWeb were can i fond it.

David B

I found it on a web page if anyone wants the link ill put it on here.
David

Postby Gibsaw on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:56 am

I actually prefer LL3 to FX2, but that's just me.

It's also just worth mentioning (particularly for a slow machine like an XT) that once I've bootstrapped the program I would immediately switch over to the parallel laplink cable. The parallel port is inherently faster and less work for the machine.

Even back when a 286 was my main machine and ethernet was a distant dream, the software was big enough that I found serial painful. It means two cables, but FEEL THE SPEED!!!! :D
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Matt on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Has anyone used msdos kermit?
Matt

Postby davidrg on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Matt wrote:Has anyone used msdos kermit?

I've not used it myself but it should work the same as (and be compatible with) Kermit on other platforms. It does include a few extra features though - terminal emulation and built in networking.

msdos kermit won't run on Windows though so if you want to transfer files to/from a Windows PC you'll need Kermit 95. You can grab my latest build of that from here: http://ftp2.zx.net.nz/pub/Kermit95/test ... _build.zip. Due to cryptography export and licensing restrictions that build is missing SSH, LAT, DECnet and XYZMODEM support but it should work fine over a serial line or telnet.
davidrg

Return to General