A Tale Of Two C-64's

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Re: A Tale Of Two C-64's

Postby LilJoe on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Nothing like seeing a broken micro return to life. I've got a C64 repair waiting for me, good motivation.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby zzap64 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Ah I know mate thanks to Spider my 64 will live again!
zzap64

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:54 pm

So after zzap64 ran off with my Carmen Sandiego setup :lol: - I figured I'd take a look at number two.

I was jumping around the board looking for voltage but could barely find anything - 400mv if I was lucky. So then I decided to check the conductance of the switch terminals - but it didn't make any sense, because all of them showed no conductivity no matter what position the switch was in. I looked it up online to make sure I wasn't going nuts, and sure enough we had a faulty switch.

This is a good sign, because usually machines like these get put in the attic when they fail - if it was only the power switch to fail, then the rest should be perfect. So with permission, I desoldered the original switch (love owning a desoldering station btw) and using the legs of some diodes (cheaper at JayCar to buy 100 diodes than it was to buy 10???) I jumpered it permanently on. I now wish I'd done a slightly tidier job of the solder work, but look, it does a thing!

Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Good one Jono!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin