Very Strange Super Nintendo Problem *Help*

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Very Strange Super Nintendo Problem *Help*

Postby Mr Wojski on Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi All. I am new to the forums, I found some very useful information on it whilst googling problems I have with my SC3000 however today I have a different problem.

I recently acquired a Super Nintendo from a friend, It powers on fine, however I get nothing appears on the TV. I have cleaned the cart slot, it does not appear damaged, games I am using also definitely work. The reason I call it strange is because when I use one particular game cartridge (Super Metroid) the "Nintendo" logo appears on the screen, but then the game wont load. With other cartridges nothing appears.

Any ideas?

Ta
Mr Wojski

Re: Very Strange Super Nintendo Problem *Help*

Postby kevman3d on Thu May 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Given most of your games seem to fail to fire up, does sound like possibly the slot just needs a bit more cleaning - I used a piece of stiff cardboard and some methylated spirits on the edge a few times until the card didn't come out dirty. Took a couple of goes to get it all, but it did help bring it back.

I'd also clean the edge connectors on the cartridges as well with a bit of meths and a cotton bud.

Another thing I heard mentioned was pushing cartridges in too far. No idea if that's true, but you could try putting one in, then gently pulling it out just a little...

Good luck. I can't really suggest more then that - though I'm sure some of the more experienced SNES'ers on the forum here may have other suggestions. :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Mr Wojski on Tue May 19, 2015 1:14 am

Thanks Kev, I have cleaned this thing for hours, I have no idea why it won't work, it's so strange how I get the Nintendo Logo on Super Metroid but nothing else. The games I am testing all fire up first time in my other console. Weirdest problem I have come across.
Mr Wojski

Postby kevman3d on Tue May 19, 2015 8:39 am

There's a similiar discussion on here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=62497

Everybody pinpoints it back to cleaning the contacts... Some of them suggest opening up the cartridges and cleaning them inside as well... Though whether washing the cartridge in the kitchen sink is a good idea I don't know. :roll: Take a peek and see if there's any suggestions there that might help.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Mr Wojski on Tue May 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah that's usually the novice repair's bandwagon "Clean the contacts". I have done this and they're perfect, as I said the games work fine on my system sitting next to it. It's just odd. I will have a browse through those forums and see what I can find :-) Thanks for the link!
Mr Wojski

Postby tezza on Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Just my 2 cents worth although I know nothing about these games machines.

You say no cartridges work except for this Super Metroid one, which starts to load then crashes.

Could it be a RAM problem? Most carts don't even start because they need to access this damaged RAM before showing anything on the screen. Perhaps Super Metroid fills up RAM in a different way (maybe addressing screen RAM directly?) hence it SEEMS to work, until the CPU needs to access the damaged RAM then it's all over.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Repair and Restoration