Apple 2c broken

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Re: Apple 2c broken

Postby matsondawson on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 pm

coogie wrote:
matsondawson wrote:Well wouldn't you know it, the lcd screen i got with the 2c is also broken. It's a very dark black colour and requires some serious light to see any of the characters. That's a real shame as I think they are pretty rare screens.

Sounds like a failed backlight... I guess it would be possible to replace the backlight with something else of a similar size?

I have opened it, and there is no back-light. Also it makes an awful smell.
matsondawson

Postby Carcenomy on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Awful smell? Urgh, that's a pretty ominous sign.

So what ICs are you still looking for matson? I've got a 1541 that's packed up its lunch and gone home - looks like a mechanical fault. Haven't chased it much as I have multiple spares. A 6502 could be yielded from it at a pinch. And RAM modules... I've got an Amiga 500 Rev5 board with blown CIAs... it could yield some RAM...
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby matsondawson on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:14 am

Carcenomy wrote:Awful smell? Urgh, that's a pretty ominous sign.

So what ICs are you still looking for matson? I've got a 1541 that's packed up its lunch and gone home - looks like a mechanical fault. Haven't chased it much as I have multiple spares. A 6502 could be yielded from it at a pinch. And RAM modules... I've got an Amiga 500 Rev5 board with blown CIAs... it could yield some RAM...

Unfortunately I need a 65C02, and the 1541 boards have 6502's :\ I went to order one from western design center, but their shipping prices were ridiculous!
I have a BBC master that I think needs a keyboard encoder.
I have an Amstrad CPC6128 that needs a new drive (probably some ic is broken, just too much effort to track it down, it spins but has no seek).
And if you had a 512MB expansion for an Amiga 500 that would be awesome.
A mouse for an A3000 (and a monitor, I think an Amiga monitor would work)

On my side I have BBC master compacts, 1541's, ZX81's a ZX spectrum board and some Atari bits spare.
matsondawson

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 am

Ha, we might nearly be able to do something here sir. I do have an expansion card but it's not a standard A501, it's some dodgy knock-off. Will have a dig among my other A500s and see what I can find.

Otherwise, I have a CPC6128 that hasn't been powered up in, hmm, about ten years, with the Amstrad monitor to match. 3" drive was working but twitchy, at some stage years ago the guy I picked it up from tried opening it to fix it and broke the drive belts. I might try it out some time and see if she still lives - if signs aren't great it'd at least make a drive donor.

Now the A3000. I have a friend who works for the SIT, who's attempting to smuggle me out a lot of vintage gear they have stored that they've been considering dropping off at eDay. Allegedly there's a few dozen Amigas of some form and a few dozen Mac Classics - but the latest discovery was a stash of A3000s stashed in the computer hardware lab so I've got him trying to weasel them first. Not sure on monitors - likely RGB TTL, I'd vote a 1084S with the cable to suit Commodore PC rather than Amiga.

We'll talk Master Compacts later another time... :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Previous

Return to General