Finally a C64 that works :-)

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Finally a C64 that works :-)

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:08 pm

At last I have finally got a C64 that works, ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =446571184 ) this one power up and seems to perform correctly, will run the diag cart on it later, just to be on the safe side. I suppose that means I have about 6 repair jobs on the others, or scrap some off to get others running.
all I have to do now is check out that the drives and the tape deck work.
WelshWizard

Re: Finally a C64 that works :-)

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Ooooh, something Webbles owned that isn't all gross looking! :)

Very nice wedge you have there sir. Popped its covers to see what board revision you got yet?
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:55 pm

e)not yet, but it came with a lead that has four connectors off, red white black and yellow for some reason can't seem to get any sound on the 1702 with it, get picture through the white lead, every thing seem to work apart from that, thinking its to do with the lead itself as the 1702 only has two in at the front. will have to find a diagram that shows the pin connections to make a lead with only two connectors ( hoping its not the Sid but I still have to run the diagnostic cartridge to make sure.
WelshWizard

Postby lizardb0y on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm

WelshWizard wrote:e)not yet, but it came with a lead that has four connectors off, red white black and yellow for some reason can't seem to get any sound on the 1702 with it, get picture through the white lead, every thing seem to work apart from that, thinking its to do with the lead itself as the 1702 only has two in at the front. will have to find a diagram that shows the pin connections to make a lead with only two connectors ( hoping its not the Sid but I still have to run the diagnostic cartridge to make sure.

Sounds like you've been given an audio cable with a 5-pin DIN at one end and 4 RCA at the other. Does that fit what you've got?

The early C64 had a 5-pin DIN A/V connector, which carried standard composite video and mono audio. The 64C should have an 8-pin DIN A/V connector, which carries Luma and Chroma as well as composite and audio. With these you should have a cable with 8-pin DIN at one end and three RCA at the other. These then get plugged into the rear of the 1702 - white to Audio, yellow to Luma, red to Chroma. You'll get a better quality picture than using composite at the front of the 1702.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:01 am

Cable that came with is just like this one on the post at Lemon
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... itor+cable
Going to try and see if I can use the rear RC's
strange the cable looks new that came with the C64c
WelshWizard

Postby tezza on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 am

WelshWizard wrote:At last I have finally got a C64 that works, ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =446571184 ) this one power up and seems to perform correctly, will run the diag cart on it later, just to be on the safe side. I suppose that means I have about 6 repair jobs on the others, or scrap some off to get others running.
all I have to do now is check out that the drives and the tape deck work.

Well done. How many other C-64s have you actually got? They are so common I'm surprised it's taken you a while to find a working one. On the other hand though, being largely low-cost games machines, they tended to suffer a fair amount of abuse (then neglect) by their owners. A pristine C-64 is likely very hard to come by apart from in collections like ours.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 am

this is the 5th C64 that was supposed to be working, plus some parts ( known non workers when purchased)
the C16 from down country works, just not got any software for it yet.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Wow, the colour scheme the guy chose is a bit cack-handed innit! I would have thought you'd use yellow for composite and white for audio since y'know, that's the standard ;)

Any joy with your drives?
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Well I got another lead, with a C64C from Christchurch today, and both the one I got today and the other work great, Got me foxed at first thought the sound was out intill I loaded a game cart and once game was running I got sound fine, after the Atari I must admit I find the C= a bit primitive in some ways, even if most seem to think it is a better machine than the Atari8, now to find a C16 game at a cheap price to check out if the C16 works :D
Last edited by WelshWizard on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
WelshWizard

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:17 pm

It might seem primitive but give it a good whirl, there's still a reason it's the best selling computer of all time. ;)
Carcenomy

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 am

Carcenomy wrote:It might seem primitive but give it a good whirl, there's still a reason it's the best selling computer of all time. ;)

Yeah, I'd agree.

It depends upon your priorities. The Atari was a full featured machine, but had less software and the implementation was very slow.

The C64 was a pretty full featured machine, big software library and faster than the Atari... and (sticking with 6502's) the Apple II by comparison is a reasonably basic implementation with strange hacked together graphics that has an enormous software library, and is the fastest of the three for raw CPU.

You'll enjoy the C64.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby WelshWizard on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:24 am

Gibsaw wrote:
Carcenomy wrote:It might seem primitive but give it a good whirl, there's still a reason it's the best selling computer of all time. ;)

Yeah, I'd agree.

It depends upon your priorities. The Atari was a full featured machine, but had less software and the implementation was very slow.

You'll enjoy the C64.

Not sure I would gree with the C= being faster, in fact I would say it was noyicably slower than the A8 on certain things, Breakout is definatively slow on the C= ( first Cart game I loaded on the C=) A8 runs at least 40% faster even thought its some years now I have never got as far with the A8 as the C= so I checked out the A8 still can't get any where near as far with the A8 as the C= and its def speed of the ball, as the A8 paddle is far smoother than the C=.
WelshWizard

Postby tezza on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 am

WelshWizard wrote:Not sure I would gree with the C= being faster, in fact I would say it was noyicably slower than the A8 on certain things, Breakout is definatively slow on the C= ( first Cart game I loaded on the C=) A8 runs at least 40% faster even thought its some years now I have never got as far with the A8 as the C= so I checked out the A8 still can't get any where near as far with the A8 as the C= and its def speed of the ball, as the A8 paddle is far smoother than the C=.

It's quite difficult to benchmark these things. Speed depends not only on the hardware but also the software. A particular package even with the same name and gameplay will not have the same code on different machines so direct comparisons are difficult.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:00 pm

tezza wrote:
WelshWizard wrote:Not sure I would gree with the C= being faster, in fact I would say it was noyicably slower than the A8 on certain things, Breakout is definatively slow on the C= ( first Cart game I loaded on the C=) A8 runs at least 40% faster even thought its some years now I have never got as far with the A8 as the C= so I checked out the A8 still can't get any where near as far with the A8 as the C= and its def speed of the ball, as the A8 paddle is far smoother than the C=.

It's quite difficult to benchmark these things. Speed depends not only on the hardware but also the software. A particular package even with the same name and gameplay will not have the same code on different machines so direct comparisons are difficult.

I came across a really good analysis of the speed of quite a few of the 8-bitters (before my laptop got stolen)...

From memory, the short answer for raw CPU was Apple II, followed by C64, followed by Atari.. The atari had some architectural issue that meant it needed to run a 1.7MHz clock to keep up. The apple II had a special case because it had almost the entire bandwidth of the RAM at it's disposal. (video refresh also served DRAM refresh.) and the C64 did what it did in lockstep with the timings of the VIC II.

I'll keep looking and see if I can find it again.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Next

Return to Trade Me