Dealer watch spot (COMPLETE ATARI PACKAGE)

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Dealer watch spot (COMPLETE ATARI PACKAGE)

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 am

Well, my opinions on dealers in Dunedin are pretty low, knowing their behaviours (strategies?) at fairs, garage sales, charity stores, recycle stores etc for buying.

But pisstolpete who is selling the Atari 1040STFM at the moment :
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-464870402.htm

for $150 start/reserve, $175 buy now (and previously with $120 start, and $250 BN) knows this doesn't work because I posted on the last auction listing for it that I had tested it at the auction house the day he bought and listed it and it wasn't going. I only had 5 minutes, but couldn't get a viewable picture on the monitor DIN port, nor several discs to load (just to listen for sound or see if the jumbled picture changed). Maybe the TV out was okay? The disc drive was certainly wasn't reading, and the keyboard, mouse & monitor was the grimiest I've seen a computer.

Perhaps someone else could ask if it's going for the asking price, especially since it's described as 'COMPLETE'.

I had an away/book bid on this for $22 (only wanted the games, not the printer or non-functioning computer), so no doubt he only bid a dollar more. The problem with dealers (and it hasn't been in Dunedin till now with respect to computers) is once they have a taste for something they can sell for money, it's all on. Although this is only the fourth computer I have been aware of from there in 5 years. The only others being a ZX81 that I was outbid on, and a non-functioning Apple II clone I bought a good few years back, and the IIe's I got last year (which still had auction numbers on them).

pisstolpete also sold me the few Apple IIes for $210 (I don't know how I missed these at auction house, they may have been mis-described in the online catalog). On arrival I could see the keyboards greasy (not noticeable from the trademe photos at the time), and lots of keys on all of them all jammed up and stuck down. This would have been obvious to the seller and were not described as such on the auction. Worse is a person who professes to collect one thing yet sells other items without respect for describing accurately or in detail in the way they would demand for for what they collect themselves.

[/whinge]
YetiSeti

Re: Dealer watch spot (COMPLETE ATARI PACKAGE)

Postby WelshWizard on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Well I asked
As you seem to have a monitor and software, does it work?

His answer
Everything seems to work OK but I no computer geek!, Monitor shows static so may need cleaning/adj
So I am not so sure it the one you saw.

Personally even working I don't think its worth more than about $50, ST software is worth about $1 to $5
you should see the last lot I got on trade me, was enough to fill a box 750mm by 600mm by 600mm I think it was $2
as for the 1040 STFM they go through stiffy drives at a hell of a rate unless you can get hold of the old belt drives 3.5 the later ones just burn the motor out. maybe $30 to $40 if working though the last working ST I goy of Trademe was a 1040 STF for $5 :)
Monitor , maybe $10 to $15 if working , not worth repairing as its easy to interface to a modern screen
WelshWizard

Postby YetiSeti on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm

WelshWizard wrote:Well I asked
As you seem to have a monitor and software, does it work?

His answer
Everything seems to work OK but I no computer geek!, Monitor shows static so may need cleaning/adj

So I am not so sure it the one you saw.

Nya-ha. Let me translate :

"Everything seems to work OK" = "the power led lights up", "monitor turns on"
It was the computer, or there were some Hitchhiker's Guide type probabilities at play. I could find no clear image with the rolling/jumbling on the display (the vertical hold did nothing, if that is what it was fiddling on the back of the monitor and wobbling cables), but it looks like it shows a workbench screen (it was hard to tell). I don't know if it was the monitor or computer though, so wouldn't go by his diagnosis.
YetiSeti

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 am

I'd give him maybe 50 tops, but only for the monitor if it works - I only have the stupid monochrome 12" for my STs, so it's composite only when I want to try play games or anything. Which really, REALLY puts the ST to a disadvantage to my Amigas, where there's the 1084S or 1940 to choose from...

But $150? Dreaming!
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby WelshWizard on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Carcenomy wrote:I'd give him maybe 50 tops, but only for the monitor if it works - I only have the stupid monochrome 12" for my STs, so it's composite only when I want to try play games or anything. Which really, REALLY puts the ST to a disadvantage to my Amigas, where there's the 1084S or 1940 to choose from...

But $150? Dreaming!

You should br able to wire up a Commodore monitor to the ST easy enough.
WelshWizard

Return to Trade Me