A huge collection?

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: A huge collection?

Postby SpidersWeb on Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah when I offered a good price I was thinking like '$150' but we agreed on $200 + postage for keyboard/CGA, I honestly had no idea that there was someone else in NZ who would pay that much for an untested CGA. Only reason I hadn't finished the sale was because he was going to ring me back after he'd plugged it in - I just wanted to make sure it powered up! Even though it has my name on it, trademe obligation is to sell the advertised product to the person who clicked buy now - so am fine with him selling to the other guy, means he also gets more money, just guttered I missed out!

He's just going to list each item seperately now, which I think is much better for him price wise and us for choice/details.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby recycled on Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Nuts, missed out. "Withdrawn by seller". Went to check what new stuff had been added. Wanted a crack at the 128d + keyboard, the computer went up without the keyboard so was waiting for the second auction. Now they've gone. You guys showing so much interest have scared him off!

Other things about Trade Me vulchers, I put a best bid on an item but it did not make reserve. When the auction closed the seller offered it to ALL the watchers. A guy who hadn't even bid got in and got it at the price I was prepared to pay (offered at highest bid). I guess I'm going to have to give up real life and stay glued to Trade Me.

It worries me that so many people are secretly setting up computer museums. Why can't you all go back to putting stupid water cooling systems and funky lighting strips in your pimped out boxes and leave the real computers to us old farts!
recycled

Postby Carcenomy on Sun May 06, 2012 1:24 am

recycled wrote:Nuts, missed out. "Withdrawn by seller". Went to check what new stuff had been added. Wanted a crack at the 128d + keyboard, the computer went up without the keyboard so was waiting for the second auction. Now they've gone. You guys showing so much interest have scared him off!

Other things about Trade Me vulchers, I put a best bid on an item but it did not make reserve. When the auction closed the seller offered it to ALL the watchers. A guy who hadn't even bid got in and got it at the price I was prepared to pay (offered at highest bid). I guess I'm going to have to give up real life and stay glued to Trade Me.

It worries me that so many people are secretly setting up computer museums. Why can't you all go back to putting stupid water cooling systems and funky lighting strips in your pimped out boxes and leave the real computers to us old farts!

I bloody hear that. I work a real job! I want a chance at the cool vintage rigs! I really, REALLY want a 128D! Are you telling me they're GONE?! :(

If everyone stayed quiet, it would have all gone for $15... :)

Ed: I also didn't see the bit about stupid water cooling systems and funky lighting strips! Settle down buddy, I might be no older than an Amiga 1000 but no reason to pick on us young fullahs who were born during the beginning times! I still put stupid water cooling systems and funky lighting strips in computers alongside my day to day work, but I also still educate the youth on the bonuses of the early 8-bit systems. It's not us causing the problem, honest! It's the people with expendable income and no day job! Honest!
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun May 06, 2012 1:33 am

Unless I missed an auction for the 128D's, then they'll still be available.

He took down the original listing so he could list the items indivudally.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby recycled on Sun May 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Carcenomy wrote:It's not us causing the problem, honest!

Yeah, whoops. I made a sweeping generalisation in a heated moment! Just meant that a little while ago the popular thing was to do as much stupid stuff to a computer as financially possible. Now they are poaching our hobby as if it is going to be the next big trend. I still stand by my complaints about the ignorance of some of the traders on Trade Me and these 'chequebook hobyists' we're all encountering.

SpidersWeb wrote:He took down the original listing so he could list the items indivudally.

Well, I thought the auction for the 128 was the start of the individual auctions. He took that down as well. Check out 'expired' auction 472871459.
recycled

Postby tezza on Sun May 06, 2012 2:48 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:UGH, after I got off the phone, someone clicked buy now on my special auction, so I lost the IBM 5153 + Model M.

##$*((!!!!!!

Yes, this is the problem with requesting a "buy now". There is no guarantee it will go to the requestor.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby tezza on Sun May 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Back from a while off the forums while attending my daughter's graduation....

Well..that was interesting. I think our "huge collection" seller was just testing the water to guage interest. Either that or the first "bulk lot" lot was genuine but once there was an interest in individual items the seller changed his mind. While the posting was effective for building an awareness that these thing may be for sale, it's not really how Trade Me should be used.

Too bad you lost that Colour IBM monitor SpidersWeb. Those aren't that common. It was probably someone looking for that ONE specific item to complete a set and they were prepared to pay. I'm in the same category with my AT keyboard ( I wish I'd bidded more when that one came up a while back).

Personally, I much rather these items are listed individually. I've not the time, inclination or room to house/store/process a bulk load of "stuff" most of it probably common items. I suspect that would be true for most on here. If the seller(s) do follow through and list individual items then we can all have a crack. The risk with trying to buy a bulk lot, even as a loose group, is that you're likely to lose all to some second-hand dealer with deeper pockets, a truck and a warehouse.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby acsi on Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm

Spidersweb might just be interested in this little beauty I just spotted

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/vintage/auction-473099787.htm
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby VIC on Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Looks in very good nick.
VIC

Postby tezza on Sun May 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Well, this IS a second chance. Hopefully it works ok. Good luck if you bid Jono!
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun May 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Ah thanks for the heads up guys :)
I guess somebody spotted the action and decided to cash in, hopefully a few more appear.

Bidding ahoy!
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Gibsaw on Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 am

recycled wrote: I still stand by my complaints about the ignorance of some of the traders on Trade Me and these 'chequebook hobyists' we're all encountering.

It does feel like that sometimes... But sadly, enough of these machines from our childhood have disappeared that this is not a "price of a cup of coffee" hobby anymore.

The tide is definitely rising and it's not always some rich bastard from the USA mining our local auction market for investment pieces. Some of your frustration is people like me... and I consider myself a genuine hobbyist. I'm 40, grew up programming Apple II's in the 80's and have a decent IT job.

It's all about priorities. This is my money wasting habit and I'm still spending less annually than a smoker. Sometimes for a piece I really want, I will really piss someone off by bidding well beyond what they think is sensible or realistic until I get it...

Usually I'm making a judgement call on expediency and future price of another. Sometimes I'm right, Sometimes I'm wrong. I try to avoid bidding wars with Matt Dawson... :P
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Yes, I participated in a discussion about the costs of collecting in the VCF recently.

Unless you are a trader, "worth" to the individual is only very loosely associated with resale value (if at all) and compared to many other things, being involved in vintage computers is still a cheap hobby.

Prices are rising. I think they will continue to rise as demand increases from baby-boomers who are nearing retirement age and looking for a nostalgic hobby. I'm just glad I started my '70-80s collection in 2007. Andrew (lizardboy) is probably glad he started even earlier when people were giving these things away.

I've lost out on a few things I've really wanted (e.g. the AT keyboard). I was disappointed but that's the free market and I have to live with it.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Gibsaw on Mon May 07, 2012 2:52 pm

and we won't even get started on the regrets of things I've actually sent to the recyclers over the years... things like a working HARRIS 25MHz 286 that I'd love to get back now.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby lizardb0y on Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Gibsaw wrote:and we won't even get started on the regrets of things I've actually sent to the recyclers over the years... things like a working HARRIS 25MHz 286 that I'd love to get back now.

Yeah, don't even start or you'll have me crying in my Ovaltine. Who would have thought that Breadbin C64s, Apple IIes, Spring Cirlce Apple IIe clones, MAc Plusses and other such "they're common as muck so there's no point keeping it" devices would one day be seen as rare and valuable. Bah!
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me