5.25" conundrum

Please post details of what you have to sell, swap or to give away

5.25" conundrum

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm

I have a bit of a moral issue... someone has donated to me a box of maybe 50-100 (probably functional) 5.25" DSDD disks, but while they don't appear to contain any Apple II software like he was suggesting, what they DO contain is samples for a synthesizer called an "Emulator II".

I can treat 'em like blanks for my Apple II, but I'd feel guilty wiping what seems to be a decent sound library for a classic. :?

suggestions?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Re: 5.25" conundrum

Postby lizardb0y on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Archive the samples?
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby Radar on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:16 pm

I've owned (and sold last year) both an "Emulator EMU II" and "Emulator EMU III" and would recommend you put them on TradeMe. (Category: music-instruments/instruments/keyboards-piano/keyboards)
Really neat bits of kit.

There is a small but dedicated following for the EMU gear and both of mine I sold to someone locally with a very impressive collection of vintage gear.
(I'll pm you his details - it may be worth offering them to him directly)

Unfortunaetly both the EMU II / EMU III I had were not fully operational but not suprising as the guy I bought them from found them in the inorganic rubbish collection :)

Archiving wise until recently the disks were unreadable/unwriteable on a normal PC and archiving them was a right pain (load and dump via. MIDI from the EMU itself connected to an old MAC running the right software) Looks like you can now dump them using Kyroflux http://www.softpres.org/news:2010-10-10

The vintage synth / sampler guys seem to operate in an oddly parallel stream to our own - collecting, restoring and playing with old hardware / software :)
Radar

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeah, I think trademe might be the go... or send me some contact details. I have a Juno 106 and a D50, but I'm not about to add an EMU to my house, although I would have loved one back in the day. One vintage obsession at a time.

I'm not short of floppies at this point, and kryoflux is a little expensive for a non-apple archiving project that I probably don't have time for, although being able to properly back up the non "cracked" versions of copy-protected Apple II game disks would be nice.

*UPDATE* - David took them all.. I'm quite happy they will get at least examined by someone who has an EMU II.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Return to Vintage Items Available