1/2 AA Batteries

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

1/2 AA Batteries

Postby gavo on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm trying to revive a Mac LC475 which chimes but doesnt startup/show any video. This is apparently a common fault that can be caused by a fauty PRAM battery (1/2 AA 3.6v).

So I guess I need to replace it to be sure (the battery itself has failed, but I'm not 100% sure its the faut). I just checked trademe and 1/2 AA's go for near enough to $20! ouch!

Are they really that expensive? I suppose they are, unless someone here knows of a secret (and cheaper) source here in NZ ;-)
gavo

Re: 1/2 AA Batteries

Postby matsondawson on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Is it possible to put 3 watch batteries together? or create an adapter to put another battery type in.
matsondawson

Postby gavo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 am

matsondawson wrote:Is it possible to put 3 watch batteries together? or create an adapter to put another battery type in.

That is a very good idea! Glad you thought of it for me ;-)
gavo

Postby gavo on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:51 pm

gavo wrote:
matsondawson wrote:Is it possible to put 3 watch batteries together? or create an adapter to put another battery type in.

And it works. Taped 3 x AAA batteries together, connected them up in series with and attached a wire with clip to each end, then clipped them onto the battery terminals on the 475 - started up fine. At least now I know I wont be wasting my $20!
gavo

Postby tezza on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 pm

gavo wrote:
gavo wrote:

And it works. Taped 3 x AAA batteries together, connected them up in series with and attached a wire with clip to each end, then clipped them onto the battery terminals on the 475 - started up fine. At least now I know I wont be wasting my $20!

Good one. There is always an alternative with batteries. I made a replacement NiCad battery "pack" for my HX-20 a while ago by the "tape and series connect" method also". In fact, you've inspired me to write it up!
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blo ... teries.htm

:)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to General