RiscPC related stuff.

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

RiscPC related stuff.

Postby caluser2000 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm

If anyone has any RiscPC600 up items- software, or hardware I'd be possibly interested in it.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Re: RiscPC related stuff.

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 am

Gotten quite a few bits n bobs now via TM.

The lastest is a StrongARM machine whose mobo seems to be a bit flacky so I'll just use it as a parts machine. On receipt neither the mobo, hdd or psu had been secured in the case and a half hearted battery replacement job by the looks. There's A few other issues as well. The 2meg vram, hdd, fdd, 64 megs of ram, psu, StongARM 233 card, 586 card, Risc ROMss etc will be put to good use.

Already tested the 586 card in another machine, loaded the PC setup/emulation software(wouldn't run on the machine it came in) and loaded PC Dos 6.3 on it without problems. Can even run dos full screen if need be. I'll take out the 586 card and fit the 486 one to see how that goes.

It's obvious the machines I have aquired have been ex educational/school machines judging by some of the licensing notices of some software.

All n all having a bit fun with something a little different from the usual x86 fair.

Edit- I've been offered a good deal on a RiscPC600 I'll upgrade with the good bits out of the StrongARM machine.
caluser2000

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24 pm

I was digging in my garage in the keyboard stack since recent discussions about XT keyboards and found of all things, an Acorn 101 key PS/2 keyboard. I'm guessing this is for a RiscPC, want it?
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby caluser2000 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 pm

A couple of weeks ago I'd have said yes but I've got a few extras coming with the 600 which should arrive today. Thanks for the offer though.
caluser2000

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am

The collection is starting to expand. Going backwards now, won a 410/1 off manuka last week. It'll be interesting to see if ST506 drive is still functional. I didn't have a pre-risc PC keyboard so that will come in handy for future testing purposes. Now I've got a reason to use the chunky Mk1 mouse. All I need to aquire a suitable monitor. RGB-VGA adapters are are available but the 410/1 will need mobo altering/modding for correct video output a a vga monitor. The A4000 Kendall has listed is looking very tempting indeed and this doesn't have this issue.
Last edited by caluser2000 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
caluser2000

Postby tezza on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 am

caluser2000 wrote:The A4000 Kendall has listed is looking very tempting indeed and this doesn't have this issue.

I agree that does look tempting. I don't have anything yet from the Archimedes line and maybe I should just to round out the collection.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby lizardb0y on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 am

I love the Archimedes. After the Amiga it was the next computer to really blow my socks off. I have an A310, A3000 and a few RiscPCs.
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby caluser2000 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09 am

They certainly scratch an ich for me. Something different. As with any old kit there's a very helpful community of there. Here's a link to what someone has done with there 410/1 http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/con ... es-A410-1/

Hmmm, just looking at that site the machine I bid on. Looks like it has an IDE( I actually missed that when I placed my bid) and SCSI podule fitted so it may well have an IDE hdd(looks like a Conner drive of some sort) installed. Interesting indeed. Of course I wont know for sure till it turns up. It was obviously connected to XTRA at some point. Via modem no doubt unless one of the podules that have been removed was an ethernet one.

Edit- popped over to Chris's Acorn site to check. The cards are an IDE(Risc developement) and Canon LBP8 laser printer(computer concepts) podules-excellent. Have a choice of 2.5", 3.5" IDE drives or CF cards to choose from if needed.

http://acorn.chriswhy.co.uk/32bit_FI.html

Edit 2- Looks like it has the ARM 3 update too http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/con ... 3-upgrade/
Last edited by caluser2000 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
caluser2000

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

caluser2000 wrote:...snip... something a little different from the usual x86 fair...
In this context it's "fare", i.e. consumable goods (usually food) as opposed to "fair" (like a carnival)... or on this particular forum, perhaps the more archaic... "fayre" :) )

I know, I know... Yes, it's picky, but I see this one a lot, so there. I said it. Now I'll be quiet for a while. :wink:
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby caluser2000 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 am

I have a x86 fair in my hobby room. I now want an Acorn fair to park alongside it. Of course the lone Amiga will performing off to the side.
caluser2000

Postby recycled on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:12 am

caluser2000 wrote:Going backwards now, won a 410/1 off manuka last week.

Ahh, that was you. I should have had a go at bidding, but I already have a spares box. You should find it to be quite a capable machine as there is an ARM 3 upgrade in there. So it should have been updated to RISC OS 3.1 at the least, 3.6 most likely as it was a good option to buy along with the faster processor.

The Laser Direct card might be worth removing from the computer and putting on the shelf somewhere to keep it safe. There were a number of printers made that were LPB4 compatible, but the effort to find a working one, and finding consumables at a low price will prevent you spending on computer equipment for a while! Though I don't know for sure what you would put in its place!

If the ST506 doesn't work (unlikely) the IDE card will give you plenty of scope for 'modern' storage, a laptop HDD or standard 3 1/2" drive can be put on it, so it will be possible to have two IDE drives in your computer. With a working ST506 and a hard drive fixed to the card you could put a ribbon cable out the back and use a compact flash adapter for removeable storage too.

The ARM3 and this card alone make this a very nice system. I hope it gets looked after, and not broken up for spares as I was going to do. (The other reason I didn't bid, there's life in that machine for the right person!)

<quick edit to fix my grammar again>
recycled

Postby caluser2000 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 am

That's nice to know. Wouldn't mind getting an ethernet podule for it if it boots up.

I'm going to have a shot at the A4000. I've gotten a few items off Kendall in HB. He's a pleasure to deal with, his systems/items are as advertised and he knows his stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if he's got another A4000 or similar being prepared for auction.

Time will tell.
caluser2000

Postby recycled on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:26 pm

caluser2000 wrote:if it boots up.

Ouch! You shouldn't have any troubles except getting a suitable monitor for it, which you probably already have if you've been playing with 8bit machines. I know you're aware that the OS is in ROM, so when all else fails you unplug everything from the motherboard and turn it on again. If there is still no luck, <ctrl>+R or <ctrl>+<del> when you next turn it on are restore key sequences - control R restores the system defaults or control delete wipes the CMOS, and then the system fills in suitable defaults. By now, if the PSU hasn't made noises accompanied by sparks the computer is going. (Ever the optimist). The 300/400 models have the CMOS trickle batteries well away from the motherboard, should not even be a consideration that the mobo has suffered. Your next concern is using either the command line to *configure your settings, or trying to understand !configure. This is where the IDE card may prove problematic, can it be configured the 'Acorn way' or does it need third party software! Fingers crossed the computer has a good config and will just work when it arrives.
recycled

Postby caluser2000 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 am

It turned up at sparrows fart this morning. I must say it's very clean inside. A bit of corrosion around the battery mount area as manuka describe but that's no biggy. The upgraded cpu doesn't look exactly the same as the one I linked to but is an upgrade non the less. The software for configuring the IDE side of things is available it Chiss' site plus a manual in pdf format. The drive in it is a Conner CP30174 "IDE" 170meg hdd, no cable to connect to the IDE card but found one in the shed that'll do the trick. Doing a bit more digging on the Sync on Green issue revealed it would seem later mobo revisions may not even have this problem-fingers crossed.

Was tempted to fire it up when it arrived but will wait until I finish work tonight.

Telly Ho, Onwards and Upwards...............
caluser2000

Postby caluser2000 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

I'll start another thread regarding the 410/1. I don't have an RGB monitor as both 8 bit machines I have have there own display.
I did fire it up. The hdd does its thing but there's no fdd activity, tone and the keyboard numlock and capslock keys stay on.
Reset button seems to work ok.
caluser2000

Return to Vintage Items Wanted