second problem - Apple ][e

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

second problem - Apple ][e

Postby EmulatorCoder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Just purchased an Apple ][e

Connected my Desktop PC power supply and it boots up fine.
you get the prompt and flashing cursor.
Added floppy card and drives, goes about seeking a disk as normal.

Problem: Keys dont work on the keyboard.

Control - Reset works
Holding down apple key for self test works, 'KERNEL OK'

BUT pressing any other keys... no results

Have test keyboard seperately with a logic prob and connections are working fine.
Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Re: second problem - Apple ][e

Postby tezza on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:09 pm

re: the keyboard problem. I'm wondering if it could be the keyboard driver chip (AY-5-3600 PRO or or KR-9600-PRO). They can malfunction sometimes and stop the keyboard working. I'd be surprised if any keys worked at all though, although I'm not familiar enough with Apple IIe technology to know for sure.

As to getting a boot disk, ADTPro can be used for this. The software is free, and it will make a boot disk from a disk image either through a serial card or the cassette port. Or some of the Apple aficionados might be able to make a disk for you. My apples are all packed away at the moment.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Gibsaw on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:Problem: Keys dont work on the keyboard....<snip>... BUT pressing any other keys... no results
You may need to do the "exercise the keyboard" thing with lots of isopropyl injected into each keyswitch... (You'll need to make sure it really properly dries before you switch it back on though.)
EmulatorCoder wrote:If you can make me a copy please contact me. Im willing to send you blank floppies with a return courier bag, and pay you for your time/efforts via bank deposit. :D
You don't need someone to make them for you if your drives work. You just need audio cables and ADT pro. however I'll make some for you if you want. Are you in Auckland?
EmulatorCoder wrote:Im going to write a kick-ass APPLE ][ emulator for windows next year and need this unit working.
What's the plan? Simply an interesting project? or do you have something specific in mind that the other emulators don't do?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby EmulatorCoder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby EmulatorCoder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:14 pm

All keys are completing the circuit at the keyboard connector. indicitive of functioning key switches.
Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby EmulatorCoder on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby falco on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:35 pm

This problem is pretty common - from what I remember the Apple keys are hooked to the joystick input port (not the KB controller) and the reset switch is similar (connected almost directly to the reset line?). So you can still reset the machine with no KB controller present, and do the self-tests. I've repaired a few like this, many years ago.
falco

Postby EmulatorCoder on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby EmulatorCoder on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby EmulatorCoder on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:I can fix this with a quick and dirty fix...
Yep... a replacement AY-5-3600-PRO...They're not complete and utter unobtainium.

I'd even consider ordering 10-20 of them if I thought some of the local Apple II enthusiasts would take some.
Gibsaw

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:16 pm

EmulatorCoder wrote:Im also surprised that some keys work, although the reset button for example may by-pass the keyboard driver chip, doesnt explain why the apple keys work ?

Unsurprising... The "Apple Keys" are not (ASCII) keys. They're gameport/joystick buttons. (effectively - as in, you can run the diagnostics without a keyboard if you have a joystick.)
Gibsaw

Return to Repair and Restoration