Apple ][ Europlus.. It alive

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Apple ][ Europlus.. It alive

Postby EmulatorCoder on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm

ITS ALIVE, ITS BACK TO LIFE. :shock:

I have learned alot fixing this and developed some good techniques for removing/cleaning/straightning IC pins

Now I have to re-assemble as its just a circuit board sitting on a box at the moment.

I will add some cards and hook up the rest, Floppy Drive Cards and Floppy Drives, Video Card and Language etc

Cant wait to try out, from my school days...

ICBM ,Castle wolfenstein, Bug attack and Chop Lifter...

I also have SCSI card and CD-ROM Drive. :D
EmulatorCoder

Re: Apple ][ Europlus.. It alive

Postby acsi on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Excellent. Glad to see it's up and running.

Was it the ram chips in the end?
'acsi' on trademe
acsi

Postby EmulatorCoder on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby tezza on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 am

EmulatorCoder wrote:ITS ALIVE, ITS BACK TO LIFE. :shock:

Are you sure it's alive completely and not just on life support? When I was fixing my bunch of Apples I tended to get thrown into the monitor like this when there was a faulty chip or socket still remaining to be fixed. Do you get right through the boot sequence to the "]" (with no cards attached)?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby EmulatorCoder on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby falco on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm

CPU and video look fine, PSU is probably OK, but that looks like bad page 0 RAM to me, crashing somewhere during startup. If I had to guess it's either something in the RAM addressing logic somewhere, or (more likely) a bad 4116.
falco

Postby tezza on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:52 pm

falco wrote:CPU and video look fine, PSU is probably OK, but that looks like bad page 0 RAM to me, crashing somewhere during startup. If I had to guess it's either something in the RAM addressing logic somewhere, or (more likely) a bad 4116.

Yes, I agree. I could well be RAM. Then again it could well be a faulty socket. Those Apple II+ sockets were notoriously bad and it's hard to diagnose that condition.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby EmulatorCoder on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Fixed the problem ,it was the mod preformed next to EPROM $F0 ,I re-did this and it looks a lot nicer also 8) (I had accidently re-joined a cut track when I removed a large lump of solder)

It just says "COMPUTER" at top of screen with a "]" and a flashing cursor, I have plenty of Drives and Drive controller cards but alas no software yet to run on it :cry: I also have a CDROM and the card for it, hopefully I can get some software images onto a CD to load. :|

When I add the Drives and power up, the Drive powers up for a second or two (seeking a disk) correctly :D

No keyboard input, but I havent got that far yet, (last problem to fix)

Havent put it back in the case as I want to replace the logic IC's near the keyboard input.

At least the computer Boots to prompt correctly, nice clean picture/remains stable when left switched on etc, Power supply is showing good voltage levels :D

Also I purchased an MCU development board so I can develop a new keyboard encoder for the Apple][e (It works apart from the dead keyboard encoder), interestingly this Board could also allow wireless or USB connection with my PC (just a thought) :D (I decided an MCU development board is better than wasting my time with the likes of the RAM tester I was making, more user friendly, less soldering, more options, more reliable) :D
Last edited by EmulatorCoder on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmulatorCoder

Postby EmulatorCoder on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Got some keyboard action now, after a few seconds random characters appear :cry: but generally you can type stuff in, all the keys appear to work.

This one is runnning a MPT-8048-P Micro controller as a keyboard encoder.

Maybe a crystal, or Cap, I will replace these parts and see what happens.

I tried reseating the plug several times as I thought it might be a dodgy connection.

Its not an "APPLE][+" its a "COMPUTER" :lol:
EmulatorCoder

Return to Repair and Restoration