Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 am

Yeah I can't be generous with funds at the moment, so not worth asking at this point, hopefully another will turn up later.
In the mean time I have an A4000 and 6150 to keep me amused.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

If they're buying everything for all of the cash, might be time to sell off the CPC6128! :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm
Location: Invercargill

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Carcenomy wrote:If they're buying everything for all of the cash, might be time to sell off the CPC6128! :)

Heh... Isn't that 3" media rarer than the machines these days?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm

I'd say so. Irrelevant anyway, its 3" drive isn't working ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:59 pm
Location: Invercargill

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby YetiSeti on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm

tezza wrote:Trade Me. It's either a feast or a famine!

Three of my enduring wants are listed all at the same time - an acoustic coupler modem, an Apple IIe card for the LC, and a Y2K card. I even wouldn't mind the Acorn 486 card.

Sendata 700 Acoustic Coupler Modem
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =561425322

Apple IIe card
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =561396467

ISA Y2K card
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =561893176

Acorn RiscPC 486-SXL 40Mhz PC Card
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =561948462

It's the first acoustic coupler I've ever seen on trademe outside of that luggable that has one built-in. There's been a few IIe cards, but I've always left them to others. I do like the graphics on the Y2K boxing. It just might be a bad time to be bidding with the very keen bidders at the moment.

I can't see me winning anything against berensen. With his shotgun approach to bidding, he sure puts a lot of bucks into his shots.
YetiSeti
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:53 am

YetiSeti wrote:I can't see me winning anything against berensen. With his shotgun approach to bidding, he sure puts a lot of bucks into his shots.

There is no way in hell that Apple IIe is worth $1309. It's not even worth half that. For the amount it's gone for, I would expect it to have at least two pricey "unusual items". The 3.5" with card PLUS something else like a decent RAM expansion or a CPU accelerator or a Z80 card, or an original mockingboard, or a working ProFile, or a CFFA3000 etc... or the 3.5 controller being the hard to find "superdrive" card.

But it's a standard IIe, with a few spares and a 3.5" drive and a collection of mostly copied software. It doesn't even have a super serial. $150 + anything that adds value. Maybe Another $50-$100 for the nice matching monitor. Another $200 because of the matched 3.5" controller and drive together, but it's not the superdrive card, so no more than that.

  • The spares are nice, but not difficult to obtain. (Although a NZ power supply usually means cannibalising a machine.)
  • Most of the large software collection isn't original disks and is pretty much all downloadable, so not worth any more than the media it's on.
  • The 3.5" drives are a nice to have, but almost nothing comes on that media for the IIe, and only late PRODOS supports it... (which is WHY the "superdrive" cards are rare... and mostly pointless. :) )
  • No super serial

I think berendsen has gotten WELL carried away. Even ronturner's willingness to pay above the odds topped out at $890. The person who amazes me most is "jfsugrue". This person seems to have no history (so probably no experience) buying vintage stuff and wades in at the last minute at and pushes the kit right up to $1299.

A well written ad-blurb, two egotistical bidders and an eager novice and here we are... $1309. "creature1" will be over the moon.

Here's hoping it's the lesson that dents berendsen's finances for a bit and makes him think "whoops. that was too much.". :D
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 am

$1309... really REALLY??
Good lord. One sold for $151 and that was less than a month ago.

Well at least now we know who really has the biggest pants on trademe.

p.s. now would be a good time to put up a spare good condition Apple II - because those two big bidders are still hunting
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby mrad01 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:06 am

Gibsaw wrote:
YetiSeti wrote:I can't see me winning anything against berensen. With his shotgun approach to bidding, he sure puts a lot of bucks into his shots.

There is no way in hell that Apple IIe is worth $1309. It's not even worth half that. For the amount it's gone for, I would expect it to have at least two pricey "unusual items". The 3.5" with card PLUS something else like a decent RAM expansion or a CPU accelerator or a Z80 card, or an original mockingboard, or a working ProFile, or a CFFA3000 etc... or the 3.5 controller being the hard to find "superdrive" card.

But it's a standard IIe, with a few spares and a 3.5" drive and a collection of mostly copied software. It doesn't even have a super serial. $150 + anything that adds value. Maybe Another $50-$100 for the nice matching monitor. Another $200 because of the matched 3.5" controller and drive together, but it's not the superdrive card, so no more than that.

  • The spares are nice, but not difficult to obtain. (Although a NZ power supply usually means cannibalising a machine.)
  • Most of the large software collection isn't original disks and is pretty much all downloadable, so not worth any more than the media it's on.
  • The 3.5" drives are a nice to have, but almost nothing comes on that media for the IIe, and only late PRODOS supports it... (which is WHY the "superdrive" cards are rare... and mostly pointless. :) )
  • No super serial

I think berendsen has gotten WELL carried away. Even ronturner's willingness to pay above the odds topped out at $890. The person who amazes me most is "jfsugrue". This person seems to have no history (so probably no experience) buying vintage stuff and wades in at the last minute at and pushes the kit right up to $1299.

A well written ad-blurb, two egotistical bidders and an eager novice and here we are... $1309. "creature1" will be over the moon.

Here's hoping it's the lesson that dents berendsen's finances for a bit and makes him think "whoops. that was too much.". :D


I know "jfsugrue" - he figured it must have been a hot item because of the price. I don't think he will do that again - that was close.

Madness.
mrad01
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby mrad01 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

Up next in the battle of Trademe:

- Mac 128 (which isn't a 128 - its modded up to 512)
- Apple //e card

Featuring our own Tezza, ronturner and berendsen....
mrad01
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby tezza on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

$1309!!! *Jaw drops to floor*

I can only conclude berensen is wealthy, and that amount is simply "loose change" (and it would be loose change to some people).

It will interesting to see if this leads to a flood of Apple IIes or similar vintage models suddenly appearing on the market with high reserve prices. As word gets around some folk might feel that old dusty bit of junk in the attic might be worth something.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby tezza on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am

mrad01 wrote:Featuring our own Tezza, ronturner and berendsen....

Yes, and I bet you can guess who the rank outsider is :)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby xjas on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

YetiSeti wrote:
tezza wrote:Trade Me. It's either a feast or a famine!

Three of my enduring wants are listed all at the same time - an acoustic coupler modem, an Apple IIe card for the LC, and a Y2K card. I even wouldn't mind the Acorn 486 card.

ISA Y2K card
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =561893176

It's the first acoustic coupler I've ever seen on trademe outside of that luggable that has one built-in. There's been a few IIe cards, but I've always left them to others. I do like the graphics on the Y2K boxing. It just might be a bad time to be bidding with the very keen bidders at the moment.

I can't see me winning anything against berensen. With his shotgun approach to bidding, he sure puts a lot of bucks into his shots.


Out of curiosity, what does the Y2K card do/what's it for? I've seen it on there for a while now (one of my regular searches is "ISA", heh.)
xjas
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 pm
Location: A long way away from central Auckland

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't know for sure, but it looks like a couple of address decoders attached to a ROM chip.
So I suspect at boot time it does funky things with your clock - e.g. add 10 years - 92 to 2002 or something.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 am
Location: Wellington

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby mrad01 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Well done Tezza on the Mac 128!!

While it might be a 512 inside, the model number on the outside is all 128
mrad01
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Spectrums, Acorns, IIes, Macs..

Postby tezza on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:26 pm

mrad01 wrote:Well done Tezza on the Mac 128!!

While it might be a 512 inside, the model number on the outside is all 128

Thanks. Yes, I'm glad to have got this. It was the one model my classic collection was really missing.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/col ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 pm
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron