Apple 2+ / EuroPlus or clone

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

Apple 2+ / EuroPlus or clone

Postby ajross on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 am

Hi All,

I am looking for an Apple 2, preferably with a monitor, but will take anything at this stage. My old //e Europlus sadly went to a new owner in the UK when I left, but I had a Monitor ///, a Supr' mod (for when I wanted to get colour), a Contiki card (for when I wanted it to go on the web!), a 80 column display, 2 Disk drives and a serial interface as well as some other bits and bobs.

I'd love to get some way back to having my beloved ][ setup again, so if you know anywhere I can get a genuine article or even a decent clone, I'd love to hear from you. I'm in Auckland.
ajross

Re: Apple 2+ / EuroPlus or clone

Postby mrad01 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Agreed. Too many bidders for too few machines...
mrad01

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

mrad01 wrote:Agreed. Too many bidders for too few machines...

Well, not normally... It's a little difficult at the moment because there are two people who appear to be attempting to build large collections from the beginning and throwing plenty of cash at it. (ronturner vs berendsen) I can't really comment too loudly as it was myself vs matt for a bit there.

I think to be honest your best bet may even be a late IIe.. A IIe platinum, or even a IIgs.

A "II plus" is going to be a harder ask, unless you're very lucky. Are you prepared to do repairs?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby ajross on Tue May 21, 2013 12:23 pm

"I think to be honest your best bet may even be a late IIe.. A IIe platinum, or even a IIgs."

Absolutely happy to have a IIe, platinum or a IIgs. In the UK, the GS was a very rare beast indeed. Perhaps it's more popular in NZ.

Anyway, I should have phrased my request better. I'm looking for something which is not an original ][, eg something that is better than an original ][, so a ][+, Europlus or better. a //e is ideal to be honest. I've never had a GS, but AFAIR it's almost 100% compatible with the //e and would run most software, so wouldn't mind getting the extra benefits that the GS gives - I always wanted to play about with GSOS tbh.

Also, I'm prepared to put a reasonable amount of cash toward this, just not silly money, which is what some people seem prepared to pay. In the UK, for a decent //e setup (my one included a Monitor ///, 2x floppy drives, plenty of decent expansion cards and a Sup 'r' mod), it cost me around $150 all in.

Regardless, I have an auto search for 'Apple' in the Vintage section of Trademe, and nothing seems to come up. I saw a recent lot which included a //e, but it had a lot of other hardware which was not so interesting, and the cost was around $2000.

Cheers
ajross

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Also setup searches for classic / vintage etc in the Apple category.

I spotted one go to another member on here for something like $80 because it was in the wrong category and labelled as //e instead of ||e.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, the Apple II models have certainly risen in price since I started collecting.

If you just want the Apple II experience and don't want to spend too much I would seek out a IIe. They are more reliable than a II or II+, more common and less expensive than the GS (Didn't a GS go for around $1000 a year or two ago?) .
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby mrad01 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:Also setup searches for classic / vintage etc in the Apple category.

I spotted one go to another member on here for something like $80 because it was in the wrong category and labelled as //e instead of ||e.

Yeah, that was me. I ended up getting 5x Apple //es for $80+freight from a deceased estate. I also got a first run 1984 Mac 128k for $151 from another listing. Pretty happy me!! </skite><sorry>

Sometimes the bargins are not in vintage....
mrad01

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue May 21, 2013 3:07 pm

ehehe I was watching it, very closely, and then my bills went out and I made a face which resembles: :cry:
I want an Apple II myself, just not at today's prices.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Return to Vintage Items Wanted