Are you keeping up with Commodore?

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

Are you keeping up with Commodore?

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 am

Apparently I am, now.

These aren't my usual collectables, but I still find them fun and for the right price I'm keen because they were quite a big part of home computing history and there is an massive software library for them.

So originally (as per previous thread) I got a C64C in a bundle with other machines. After much playing around I got it to start but the keyboard was broken. I organized a replacement through here and WelshWizard kindly sent one down. But then it wouldn't start any more! I had a hot RAM chip - so I replaced both memory modules with 'new' replacements. Still no life.

So I hop on trademe, find another for $20, it arrives and black screen still.

So I hop back on trademe, and find a disk drive and working C64C with damaged keyboard for cheap. This arrived with a proper 5 pin video cable, serial cable, drive, etc. I connected it up using the same cable setup I originally used on the older machines, black screen.

Then I used the proper 5 pin cable, and it appears this was the problem.

C64C #1 - faulty
C64C #2 - works perfectly although quite yellow (older C64C - labelled "C64")
C64C #3 - needed replacement keyboard, but works perfectly now and is still white in colour (newer C64C, labelled C64C)
VIC20 - powered up first go, no problems
C64C disk drive - formatted, loaded, saved - perfect
C64 breadbin style drive - makes all the right noises but had trouble reading the disk (alignment/clean needed)
Datasettes - they work but no suprise there - loaded up the Introduction to Basic quiz off a VIC20 tape

Since my 7 pin cable used to work on C64C's, I can only imagine that it's become damaged at some point.

I snapped pictures on my phone last night but somebody reorganized the office and my cable has gone missing. Will upload soon.

I've been instructed that this weekend I must build a PC<-->1541 cable so we can play games on them.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Re: Are you keeping up with Commodore?

Postby tezza on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 am

Welcome to the cream of 8-bit gaming Jono. :)

At least you have one perfect specimen there with some mix and matching.

If you want furious action and good music I would recommend Commando (see my SX-64 video). You will need a really good joystick though.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am

Cheers :D

Ah yes, good pick, I'll make sure that's one of the first ones I try.
I also discovered Digger on the PC the other day - amazing stuff for a PC game in 1983!

No problems on the joystick front, I've actually collected quite a few (TrashPalace and coming with machines), this will give me an excuse to test them :) I know my QuickShot's work because I did test those on the Amiga. Also not mentioned above is I have a matching 1701 display and a spare power supply - so If I can get that old breadbin style 1541 to read disks, I could make a nice tidy independent setup for the VIC20 and use a C64 on the TV.

The Vic20 looks pretty funny on a 42", but the C64s are sharp.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby manuka on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Came across this article, thought you might be interested..... Links back to EBay error out http://www.retrothing.com/2013/04/rare- ... nsues.html
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Ahhh the 65... the machine that coulda but didn't. They're dead right, in 1993 who in their right mind would buy the 65 over even an Amiga 600? Not like 64 compatibility is something that was a worry then - want 64 compatibility, 64s were being given away.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 am

Awesome, yeah I thought a 65 might be a touch out of my price range.
I think in 1993 I actually had a 386SX (or an Acorn A4000 still).

In other Commodore related news, my solder gear arrived last weekend and last night I managed to make an X1541 cable (after about 3 attempts). I've got a 1541 drive hanging off a Toshiba T3200SX - and last night got it format my disk and read it back! Stoked.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby manuka on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:21 am

'83? I was still fumbling around with an Atari 800XL with a tape drive
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Return to Repair and Restoration