Dunedin dude, long time player, recent collector/modder

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Dunedin dude, long time player, recent collector/modder

Postby Rowan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey.

I'm from Dunedin, recently started collecting classic consoles (though not as old as some of you, my oldest thing is a Fountain Force II) I prefer 8/16bit to Atari 2600 etc and used to be a bit of an arcade freak -- I've got a partially completed homemade MAME bartop machine kicking around, just needs a new PC put inside it.

My current goal is every Sega console, hopefully in box... So far I've got Master System I(boxed), II(unboxed), Mega Drive I (unboxed), II (boxed), Mega CD (boxed), PAL and NTSC Saturns (both boxed), Dreamcast x2 (1 boxed with boxed controller and VMU) and a Game Gear w/ Sonic 1&2 (boxed). That's on my Sega side, cbf listing the rest but there's a fair few Nintendo consoles, all the current gen ones, and some other little gems I've picked up. Once Sega is done I'll be trying to get every Nintendo console, but I won't be strict on boxes for that one, though I'll of course try to get as many as I can.

I've just recently become interested in modding consoles (just AV mods/regionless mods mostly, I'm still fairly shit) and also in the older generation of home consoles, pre-NES/SC-1000 and before the "home PC" era. I'd also love to collect any of those old Commodore 64s, Amigas, etc that I find but I really don't see many around here. They were before my time (started gaming in 1992 when my best friend, who I lived with (long story), got given a Genesis from the USA for Xmas that year. I was nearly 3 years old and I loved Sega consoles ever since.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Nice to meet you all, I'm sure.
Rowan

Re: Dunedin dude, long time player, recent collector/modder

Postby Shayde on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm new too, but I'll welcome you in. It sounds like you're in your early 20s. That's young for a retro-computing collector. :-)
Shayde

Postby tezza on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forums Rowan!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Rowan on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey there, thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm 23. Is that young? I've noticed prices on the stuff from my childhood (1990-1999 type stuff) has been steadily increasing in price... I think
more people my age are finally getting interested in collecting. Even 5 years ago, Sega stuff was 1/3 the current price in NZ, it seems.
Rowan

Postby kevman3d on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Welcome... and yes, I think 23 is pretty young, though the urge to collect things from your childhood memories is the goal no matter how old you are. :wink:

Given my Childhood system was my ZX81 and ZX Spectrum - well, you can guess that some of us are old farts here. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to Introductions