c64 case: 3 screws then what?

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

c64 case: 3 screws then what?

Postby Matt on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Since the C64C I just described in items available seems doa I figure it'd be nice to see the guts of the thing. After you take out the 3 screws underneath at the front what is the next step?

Sure is nothing like the lids on the apples lol
Matt

Re: c64 case: 3 screws then what?

Postby RonTurner on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm

I would start by googling a power supply pinout and testing the voltage at each pin with a multi-meter,

If its just the powersupply then your in luck, TM consists mainly of Spectrums, ZX-81's and C64 powersupplys and cables :P
RonTurner

Postby mrad01 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Power Supply is first port of call with C64s as he says. Not only do you need to test the output, but you need a stable output. The C64 PSU flunctuates down AND up which can destroy chips on the board. Best to make up a little DIN->12v car lightbulb circuit and plug it into the PSU. Turn it on and watch it for a while. (10 minutes). If the bulb gets brighter/dimmer - don't plug it into your machine.

Good luck!

RonTurner wrote:I would start by googling a power supply pinout and testing the voltage at each pin with a multi-meter,

If its just the powersupply then your in luck, TM consists mainly of Spectrums, ZX-81's and C64 powersupplys and cables :P
mrad01

Postby Matt on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Thx for the suggestions. 1 other question:

Out with the dogs just now and suddenly occured to me that the black round thing on the psu is probably a fuse. Got back and had a look. The wire inside the glass is corroded but not broken. Is it a good idea to replace it? are they cheap at jaycar? (ok 2 questions:-)).
Matt

Postby mrad01 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Matt wrote:Thx for the suggestions. 1 other question:

Out with the dogs just now and suddenly occured to me that the black round thing on the psu is probably a fuse. Got back and had a look. The wire inside the glass is corroded but not broken. Is it a good idea to replace it? are they cheap at jaycar? (ok 2 questions:-)).

Replace it anyway. Unlikely it is the problem - but you never know!
mrad01

Return to Repair and Restoration