USB version 1.* compatible external floppy drive

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

USB version 1.* compatible external floppy drive

Postby Beags on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:45 pm

I am looking for an external USB floppy drive that would talk to my G3 Clamshell iBook. I suspect it needs to be USB 1.0 or there abouts as I think the version 2.0 and 3.0 drives require higher voltage or current than USB 1 to be bus powered. I do remember using some about 10-12 years ago, TEAC maybe, some were very unreliable but that might have been because of miss-use by the users (Uni students - haha). If you have one I would be happy to part with some cash or something else for it - name your price (or your poison!).
MacBook Pro 13" 2GHz Core i7 (Business workhorse)
iMac 24" 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (Home workhorse)
Indigo Clamshell 366 MHz G3 iBook (Classic workhorse)
IBook 500 MHz G3 (Homework workhorse)
Powerbook 520c (Project workhorse)
Beags

Re: USB version 1.* compatible external floppy drive

Postby Gibsaw on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 am

Well, this reports to be USB 1.1 compatible.

Dunno about US$85 though.. That's a bit rough.

Also this TEAC for $15 or so.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby kevman3d on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Beags wrote:I am looking for an external USB floppy drive that would talk to my G3 Clamshell iBook ... If you have one I would be happy to part with some cash or something else for it - name your price (or your poison!).

I do have an old DSE 3.5" USB floppy drive - which you could have if it wasn't for the fact I don't know where I put it! I was using it at the beginning of last year to try and back up a few boxes of old FDD's. Most didn't read, and its possible that the drive may just need a little head cleaning... :roll:

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but its unlikely I'll be allowed to mess up the messy room again by opening and shuffling boxes (my wife says I clean by "moving the mess from one place to another" - which is kinda true)... Though if you can find something elsewhere, take it. Ascent sell Advantech ones - but that's like NZ$98 (ouch).

Alternatively, look on eBay. You'd be surprised how cheaply some people will ship things internationally. There's loads of brand new FDD's on there for US$13+...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-floppy-drive
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Beags on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am

Thank you both for the info. I was hoping that I could get a new drive here in New Zealand but have found and purchased one on ebay, including shipping etc. for half the price!
MacBook Pro 13" 2GHz Core i7 (Business workhorse)
iMac 24" 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (Home workhorse)
Indigo Clamshell 366 MHz G3 iBook (Classic workhorse)
IBook 500 MHz G3 (Homework workhorse)
Powerbook 520c (Project workhorse)
Beags

Return to Vintage Items Wanted