E-Day catches

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

E-Day catches

Postby tezza on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:41 pm

I see a few of the e-Day catches are out already. A System 80 has been caught in the net.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: E-Day catches

Postby matsondawson on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm amazed.. there's a bunch of stuff easily worth over $100 there. People are nuts not to give trademe a try first. It's free for heavens sake, and you don't have to drive to a collection center.
matsondawson

Postby YetiSeti on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:12 pm

I threw the Macs back. Didn't have room in the car to take them.
*sigh* nothing like Apple IIe's or System 80s turned up in Dunedin.
YetiSeti

Postby gavo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:08 pm

mmmm Fat Mac.....

And a IIe!! Go Apple!! :)
gavo

Postby lizardb0y on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:20 pm

gavo wrote:mmmm Fat Mac.....

And a IIe!! Go Apple!! :)

Yeah :)

Tell you what, if you want to buy them, I'll be happy to keep them at my place for you. You can come around and visit them, and the wife will never know! ;)
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby tezza on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Pity the Fat Mac doesn't have a keyboard. It's close enough to the original 128k release for me to regard as a classic machine!
tezza
Site Admin

Postby pavery on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah, great to see that System 80 saved for the marketplace. The Wanganui E-Day featured in our newspaper. It claimed a total of 35 tonnes (from 576 cars) was collected. Sounds a lot until one reads further... "80,000 tonnes of electronic waste are disposed of into landfills in NZ every year." :shock: (I guess that includes non E-Day acceptable stuff, like TVs, though). Still - E-Day is a drop in the bucket.

It was however pleasing to see on the E-Day pamphlet that "Vintage computers or items of value would be screened and offered on Trade Me." (words to that effect) :D

Philip
pavery

Postby gavo on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:13 pm

lizardb0y wrote:Tell you what, if you want to buy them, I'll be happy to keep them at my place for you. You can come around and visit them, and the wife will never know! ;)

lol! You know, theres probably some money to be made with a service like that! Very tempting :)
gavo

Postby gavo on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:22 pm

tezza wrote:Pity the Fat Mac doesn't have a keyboard. It's close enough to the original 128k release for me to regard as a classic machine!

Keyboard and Mice of that vintage are pretty easy to come by tho arent they (relatively speaking of course)? What I'd be more worried about (from a classic point of view) is if its actually a 512Ke in disguise. A number of the early 128 and 512 mobos were "enhanced" by installing a set of Mac Plus ROM's (a direct replacement of ROMS's installed on the 128/512 mobos), which was ok, but typically this was accompanied by a horrific RAM upgrade (on the 128k boards anyway) that at its worst involved piggy backing RAM chips on top of the on board soldered RAM - there were actually a number of different techniques - some better than others. Normally the upgrade would also include the replacement of the internal 400k floppy drive with the 800k version. Essentially gives you a Mac Plus but with no on board SCSI and less RAM.

I purchased what I thought was a 128k Mac a while back off trademe, not only did it turn out to have been upgraded to a 512ke, but it was also a 110v version (which I didnt think to check and the seller never mentioned, despite showing a picture of it all powered up and working). I was a little grumpy when I powered it up and it exploded before my eyes... The moral of the story - if you buy an old compact Mac - take 5 seconds to make sure its a 220v version before plugging it in :)
gavo

Postby tezza on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 pm

gavo wrote:I purchased what I thought was a 128k Mac a while back off trademe, not only did it turn out to have been upgraded to a 512ke, but it was also a 110v version (which I didnt think to check and the seller never mentioned, despite showing a picture of it all powered up and working). I was a little grumpy when I powered it up and it exploded before my eyes... The moral of the story - if you buy an old compact Mac - take 5 seconds to make sure its a 220v version before plugging it in :)

Ouch! My IBM PC (5150) has a 110V PSU. I have a big label above the power socket saying "110V only!!". Just to remind myself! It would be so easy just to accidently plug it into the mains.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Carcenomy on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

The local E-Day organizer trawls everything before it goes into the containers. He pulled a six month old HP, fairly grunty rig: quadcore, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GeForce GT240 graphics, Vista HomePrem... checked it out and it was simply the cheap graphics adapter that had failed. We're talking a machine still within warranty, and the owner decided to take it for recycling instead. Go figure. He dropped in a cheapie 8400GS and stuck it on TradeMe, net $1500 profit for him. Very sly, I can't say I approve.

He also ganked all the nice classic gear that turned up and is undoubtedly going to put it all on TradeMe in due course, mostly Amigas from what I heard.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby YetiSeti on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Carcenomy wrote:I can't say I approve.

He also ganked all the nice classic gear that turned up and is undoubtedly going to put it all on TradeMe in due course, mostly Amigas from what I heard.

Everything that was taken to the eDay event became the property of the org or wherever the containers were suppose to be going to and nothing was allowed to be removed, with the exception of the vintage gear to be listed for the charity auctions.

I certainly hope the Invers gear is listed, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much.

As a technologist (whatever that means, just been really thinking of myself as one recently), I was interested in watching out to see both the spread of new and old items were that were taken for disposal. The fail rates of modern technology, built in obsolescence, disproportionate costs of repairs and consumables, rampant consumerism, etc all concern me deeply.

It is interesting to watch with the old computers, vintage included, to see when they disappear from general use and ownership. I don't know when people stopped using Apple IIs, BBCs, Amstrads etc etc, but the local paper for sale section use to be a good measure until it was no longer the preferred method of selling.

As a holistic person, I'm concerned with the past, present, and future. A focus on recycling operations does not address the fact that 'Reduce' , 'Reuse' and even 'Repair' are or should be much more important. A (my) computer/technology museum/centre concept addresses the past and future which many people that are so bound to the present seem to be unconcerned with.

BTW, Dunedin eDay items bar a few are now listed. I need to find room to photograph the Apricot and there's another Mac somewhere about. Unfortunately they're pick up only because alone I don't have the means to post everything, nor the time, but I can hold onto items till Xmas time (but the earlier the pick up the better for my massive tidy up ultimatum).
YetiSeti

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Don't expect to see any of the Invercargill stuff listed to be honest...

As for modern life expectancy... it's terrible. About 2002 when the capacitor failure period began is when we started going downhill. In my line of work (mobile IT guy) I see lots of stray gear still installed. The oldest machine still being used for general purpose work to date was a Pentium 166, which had been impeccably maintained. Consequently, the job was to transfer the guy's stuff onto his new Dell. Otherwise, you don't see much older being used for much else... a lot of people say they'll reuse things to let the kids play on etc, but kids these days just want to play silly games on the internet. That's another rant of another day and probably another forum mind you :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Return to Trade Me