that c128

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

that c128

Postby RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I think that's pretty rough listing the keyboard separate for the computer!

It really puts the winner of the keyboard in a differicult position as they really need to win the second part of they have really nothing to show but a $60 keyboard.

An I really want to know if that's a high speed dos mod hanging out the back so they are going to end up paying heaps for it after I Duke it out for the bit I want!

Its a cunning move on the sellers part
RonTurner

Re: that c128

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Yeah it's a shame they listed the parts separately but they certainly came out a winner as a result.
I'm keen to know about those mods. Spotted the user port mod, and the mod on the 1571.

Their shop is two blocks from my house, might have to poke my nose in at some point. They've listed a fairly nice looking VIC20 as well.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

I'm stoked now that they ruinned the computer auction by selling it without a keyboard!

I didn't want to waste $60 just on that bit, so it worked in my favour!

I could say they killed the auction and there obviously was plenty of interest, same thing happens when seller lets pickers take bits and pieces it totally kills the auction and backfires on the seller

$90 in total is not a great result for the seller, it would have gone for twice that if they hadn't broke it down.

Was waiting for a Duke out with the regular snipers but non showed up, I'm almost a little disappointed

Fingers crossed its a runner, I didn't want to get blacklisted so I dared not ask if it works

Will post results here when it turns up
Last edited by RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonTurner

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Congrats :) What do you think it would've sold for if they kept it together?
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:08 pm

I think it could have hit $200+ kept together, but there appears to be numerous disgruntled punters according to the unanswered & answered questions.

More if they had of turned it on.

I'm really hoping to find a high speed dos plugged into the user port, that's what it looks like to me

I was prepared to Duke it right out just for the mod
RonTurner

Postby tezza on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 pm

I take it you have a keyboard for it then Gavin?

Yes, It can be frustrating when sellers split whole (presumably working) units you want to buy up into tiny parts. It can work for them, but also against them. There is no law against it of course but It makes me wary of bidding as you are never sure you will get everything you need. I don't like to take that risk.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Wow, I undervalued it a bit!
I was thinking untested, no manuals or software, no display etc - like $50.

Pretty cool machine though.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:15 pm

tezza wrote:I take it you have a keyboard for it then Gavin?

Yes, It can be frustrating when sellers split whole (presumably working) units you want to buy up into tiny parts. It can work for them, but also against them. There is no law against it of course but It makes me wary of bidding as you are never sure you will get everything you need. I don't like to take that risk.

My 128 sometimes powers up to a black screen and the drive is dead so I'm hoping to make one good 128 therefore I only need the one keyboard I already have.

I don't think they show up on TM very often that's how I came by the optimistic estimate, I'm pretty sure that's the second one I've seen in two years. The other one cost me $150 after shipping

As you know they are really two computers in one.

Back around 2004 when I first started collecting computers it was very common to see bits and pieces as several traders where buying whole setups then a week later it was relisted as cables ,powersupply, computer, manuals all seperate, so annoying! because you literally had to compete against traders who where only in it for the money.

And from what I remember, nothing has changed, every last auction involved bidding against the very same small group of snipers!
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 pm

If the mod is user-port DOS then I personally consider that the holy grail of 8 bit commodore

It can take 3 minutes to load 200 blocks - 5 seconds through the user port
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

C128D arrived, The ribbon cable runs to a modified 6526 CIA socket.... BOOM BABY !!!!! :D

indicating User Port high speed burst communication, there is a lot of metal RF shielding inside but im presuming there is an EPROM replacing
a ROM somewhere, I still have to transport it back to my place, but powering up (without monitor) shows promising boot up floppy seeking :D

Fingers crossed the notoriously prone to failure commodore drive will still load a floppy disk.

The 128 is in Pretty good condition in all, im stoked! to have both versions of the 128 :D

The Navarone (C64) cartridge expander (also from same trader) doesnt work when a cartridge is selected the computer wont boot, but
as a consolation prize its a $40 reset button add on.
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Cockroach Turbo ROM V1 8)

My New C128D running with some other computers :D

There are a few things left to fix, The dip switch on the side for paging Cockroach in or out, its dodgy and broken off.

The power supply (filter) blew within minutes of power up, Thanks Manuka for the new betterer part (Right) :D

Where the magic smoke escaped :P

The PSU fan bearing's are shot, so fan will be replaced, in fact PSU will be removed and getting a rebuild with
new caps, doides, resistors. The monitor attached to it in the photo is showing signs of pending failure in the PSU also
as the picture is "warping" as the monitor warms up.

The Double sided FDD is working and loading reliably. (it doesn't work in my other C128D ) and they are not the same as 1541 etc

in fact it loads VERY quickly for a Commodore, from 3 minutes down to 12-15 seconds, this is still slow compared to an Apple II which would be 3 times faster again, but very quick compared to 3 minutes, which is Cassette Tape turbo loading speed,
shame Commodore !!!
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 pm

RonTurner wrote:I think that's pretty rough listing the keyboard separate for the computer!...<snip> ...Its a cunning move on the sellers part

Well, it starts with c-u-n..
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu May 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Awesome, thanks for posting up the pics.

I popped down to their store, nice people, they have signs up asking for old computers but I think the Commodore might've only been saved because of it's plastic shell. I did ask them if they see anything really old to put it out but I'll probably be forgotten - did find some cool software though.
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby RonTurner on Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:I'm keen to know about those mods. Spotted the user port mod, and the mod on the 1571.

The 1571 mod is a master/slave switch and reset switch, with those drives you have to cut a track to make it Drive:B so users would add a dip switch to select device 8 or 9 (master/slave), These commodore drives have a high failure rate :wink:

The C128D has Cockroach Fast Loader which can load 200 blocks(sectors) in 12-15 Seconds, in order to get that down further to 5 Second loads requires a further Mod to the Floppy Drive, this is how Dolphin Dos can load in 5 Seconds :D (Dolphin DOS is not compatible with 1571 )
RonTurner

Return to Trade Me