DOS gaming/etc. laptop

Please post details of what you have to sell, swap or to give away

DOS gaming/etc. laptop

Postby xjas on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:12 am

[ EDIT: SOLD. Went to a good home. Thanks to everyone who was interested! ]

Hey guys, decided to let my Thinkpad 760 go to someone else who might enjoy it. The project I intended it for has stalled and I've hardly touched it at all since I got it.

It's some form of Pentium 1... Windows 98 is reporting an MMX CPU but the DOS benchmark util I tried says it is not. 8MB onboard RAM works fine, I have some extra SIMMs to go with it (16 and 32MB) but when the memory expansion daughterboard is installed it seems to flake out on POST. 2 GB HDD with Win98 installed. (I will leave everything on there, up to you what you want to do with it.)

Most importantly it has a 100% standard, ISA, DOS-compatible ESS1688 audio chipset that runs without drivers just like an SB Pro 2. (I.e. seamless OPL3 support and SBPro-type stereo.) I believe the VGA chip is a Trident. If you want a laptop for authentic DOS gaming you can't do much better than this.

Pictured here (the one on the right) with most of its accessories:

Everything works, even the CMOS battery.

It's in reasonable shape but has the standard 20 years of wear. Have only tested on the AC adapter; not expecting much life from the system batteries but there are several so who knows. Hinge covers are missing and the IBM rubberized coating is degrading. Comes with charger, multiple batteries, floppy drive, CD drive, extra HDD in caddy, PCMCIA modem, network, wifi card, and whatever other accessories I can find lying around.

I paid $25 on Trademe for it. Best offer accepted! Shipping should be $8.50 to the north island and $13?? south, can confirm this if desired.

Best to PM me if interested as I don't check forums every day at the moment.

[Edit: Sold!]
Last edited by xjas on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
xjas

Re: DOS gaming/etc. laptop

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 pm

I personally would trust windows's opinion that it is an MMX, however if you're curious I'd try this on it. (one of the last versions of CPU-Z to support win98)

It'll definitely identify the processor.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby ZL2AOX on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I ascertained that it's a 100MHz Pentium, using my Mark 1 eyeball. That's consistent with IBM's published specifications. My other ThinkPad (380ED) has an MMX CPU though.

xjas wrote:I have some extra SIMMs to go with it (16 and 32MB) but when the memory expansion daughterboard is installed it seems to flake out on POST.
It works fine for me. BIOS reports 56960 KB usable.
ZL2AOX

Postby xjas on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 am

ZL2AOX wrote:I ascertained that it's a 100MHz Pentium, using my Mark 1 eyeball. That's consistent with IBM's published specifications. My other ThinkPad (380ED) has an MMX CPU though.

xjas wrote:I have some extra SIMMs to go with it (16 and 32MB) but when the memory expansion daughterboard is installed it seems to flake out on POST.
It works fine for me. BIOS reports 56960 KB usable.

^^ Cool, it may have just been flaky contacts the few times I tried it. Sometimes these things just need a bit of regular use to 're-stabilize'. Glad you're having some good luck with it.
xjas

Return to Vintage Items Available