14 big boxes filled with IC's EPROM's etc

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

14 big boxes filled with IC's EPROM's etc

Postby RonTurner on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:32 am

this has got to be worth a look:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/other/auction-714616651.htm

Pick up is between Bethlehem and Te Puna in Tauranga, though delivery may be possible locally.

They are all programmable devices including microcontrollers, logic and memories.

They look new ? dont miss out !!!
RonTurner

Re: 14 big boxes filled with IC's EPROM's etc

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 am

Yes, it would. It's a pity he doesn't give a bit more detail.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby caluser2000 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 am

Yeah the more detail the better ;)
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby RonTurner on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Asking questions would blow your snipe cover.

14 boxes of IC's if you can get it for close to $80, cant be all bad.
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:16 pm

RonTurner wrote:Asking questions would blow your snipe cover.

Indeed.
RonTurner wrote:14 boxes of IC's if you can get it for close to $80, cant be all bad.

It'll depend what they are. 14 boxes is not exactly an insignificant addition to storage requirements.
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Gibsaw wrote:
RonTurner wrote:14 boxes of IC's if you can get it for close to $80, cant be all bad.

It'll depend what they are. 14 boxes is not exactly an insignificant addition to storage requirements.

Yes, quite. I don't buy to sell, so space and future use requirements are as much as a consideration as price whenever I see something that may be of interest.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby caluser2000 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 pm

It's nothing to do with sniping. Not correctly describing the contents of any auction is a pain for prospective buyers and you shouldn't have to jump through hoops ex trademe to get the info you require. Non the less it does have the desired effect. Criptic, over dramatic answers are just plain tiring as well.
caluser2000

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:41 pm

caluser2000 wrote:It's nothing to do with sniping

Indeed, in terms of sniping cover, trademe's auto-extend tends to nullify any element of surprise. The main thing you get by being discreet on trademe is to not unnecessarily push up the price before the end.
caluser2000 wrote:Criptic, over dramatic answers are just plain tiring as well.

oh god yes... although I tend to exercise a certain amount of sarcasm myself sometimes if the person hasn't (a) read the auction or is (b) asking for inappropriate amounts of detail on a self evident $1 listing.
Gibsaw

Postby RonTurner on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Gibsaw wrote:in terms of sniping cover, trademe's auto-extend tends to nullify any element of surprise. The main thing you get by being discreet on trademe is to not unnecessarily push up the price before the end.

definitely drop a bid on-sight to lock out "pickers", but auto bidding only ends up pushing the price up
as I have learnt the hard way :(

its super frustrating to have your eye on a complete setup only to see the next day the best bit has been picked
and listing reads "this bit has now been sold" :x
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 pm

RonTurner wrote:definitely drop a bid on-sight to lock out "pickers"

haven't struck that yet, myself ... but I drop a bid on bargain reserves to avoid the silly situation where I forget about it at close time, no-one else bids again and I miss getting it for a bargain. (This most definitely has happened to me a few times.)
Gibsaw

Postby RonTurner on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 pm

It happens all the time, the VZ200 I just won, photo shows whole setup, sellers note: "Joysticks have been sold" :evil:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=712676937

Speaking of VZ200 it is noticably absent from Terry's collection ? (I thought they had a niche market in NZ/AU/DE)
was just looking at the collection website, very nice range :mrgreen: I especially like the colour genie, TI99 and Aquarius :mrgreen:
RonTurner

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:29 am

I find auto bidding useful. I know what price I'm actually prepared to pay, so set that up. If it goes higher well and good for the person who obviously needs/wants it more than I do. That's part n parcel of auctioning. Be prepared to pay up or don't bother entering the action. There's the occasional exception obviously when I'll add a bit more, but not often.

It's quite entertianing watching bidders pay silly money for stuff. Just sit back grab the pop corn and watch the show.
caluser2000

Postby RonTurner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:27 am

caluser2000 wrote:It's quite entertianing watching bidders pay silly money for stuff. Just sit back grab the pop corn and watch the show.

The bidders paying silly money dont eat pop corn, they are sitting back with there champange and caviar :P
RonTurner

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:37 am

:lol: Caviar is over rated. And a good malt is certainly a lot better than piss water. Do those that pay those stupid prices actually play with them or do they just go into storage hoping their "investment" will increase in value or are they placed in a glass cage? In saying that I quite understand the likes of museums aquiring stuff to put on display as well as various institutions want to do historical data recovery/conversion.

Oh and generally a good idea to avoid auctions that have that "r" word in it. It's just asking to be had ;)
caluser2000

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21 am

I know one of the high rollers is about to retire and wants to restore vintage computers when he does.

There was suspicions of one trader (not from here) who was suspected of exporting items at a profit, but I think most the bidders are collectors or enthusiasts. You kind of need to be, two of my machines failed in the last few weeks, one repaired one in repair - if I'd have left that for ten years diagnosis would be harder because more components would've perished.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Next

Return to Trade Me