Apple 3 goodies up soon $1 reserve

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Apple 3 goodies up soon $1 reserve

Postby RonTurner on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 am

Any collectors interested in Apple /// will be interested in the $1 reserve auction going up today or tommorow just setting up to take photos.

Apple /// monitor + 5mb Profile hard disc.

+ mint monitor /// manual

Will check my stock for profile books etc.

Profile has very nice tidy cable
RonTurner

Re: Apple 3 goodies up soon $1 reserve

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:28 pm

That'll be an exciting auction to watch - especially that Profile.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Gibsaw on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 pm

One has to ask the brutally obvious... the profile goes?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby RonTurner on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Yes,

I didn't know you had an Apple 3 Devlin ?
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 am

I don't have an Apple III... Yet. Which is why I'm looking at it, and have kicked off the bidding. A working ProFile is probably harder to get than an Apple III itself.

One of the attractions of vintage machines is going back and maxing it out in a way you couldn't afford in the actual era. Before some people started making modern peripherals, things like scsi drives and the profile were the path forward to max out the capability of your vintage machine.

At this point, the difficulty of keeping a ProFile working makes it expensive, so unless you're a real "of the era" purist, it loses out to things like CFFA3000.... but if a working one is here in NZ, I'll have a bid. :D
Gibsaw

Postby tezza on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:42 am

RonTurner wrote:Yes,

I didn't know you had an Apple 3 Devlin ?

Gavin,

I might be interested in this profile too but just to be absolutely clear to potential buyers.....is it working 100% in that you can boot an Apple III or Lisa off it, and have the operating system come up etc, or is it working in that you don't have either of these machines, but the drive spins up and seems to go through its self check (i.e. the red light blinks for a while then stabilises). Which one of these is it?
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby RonTurner on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am

Obviously in this case I can't test it (fully), I don't have an Apple 3 or Lisa handy, I don't know of anyone local who has one to plug it into ?

I did power it up and it seemed ok, (admittidly not much of a test, but best I can do in this case)

The Monitor owes me $400 believe it or not, it was from the "bugs and spiders" auction, I had to drive to timaru to pick up, to all day, the
trader had lied about the computer on the auction, it was a complete and utter right-off (I suspect he got his mate who cut through the
PSU wiring and bodged it also played around with the motherboard)

All I can say if it doesn't go it will make a great display piece, I afraid i'm going with the "untested" clause / disclaimer, the one I also buy under myself on every last auction I bid on, of which a reasonable percentage of items get binned from lack of testing and lack of disclosure from sellers just keen on the money.

Anyone who is not willing to take the chance, should not bid, and wait for the next Monitor /// and Profile + mint manuals + floppy disk software and connecting cable to come up.

everyone here knows the rediculous money I have paid to win TM battles, as I say any amount I make is hardly a profit.

Hope that doesnt sound rude, but im taking a big chance on a $1 auction, bidder will have to take a small chance also :D

So testing is as follows, powered it up, light blinks and then stays on, (according to the manual this is what is supposed to happened) but beyond that no warrantees expressed/implied or otherwise.

Yes its a bit of a stress for me selling 30 year old hard drives, OMG ,I would like to only sell verified equipment like past auctions. And we all know how crappy old DOS era hard-discs where like !

Very sorry if that sounds rude, but the Acorn auction nearly did my head-in, glad to see that thing gone (never again! I feel like I was being pushed around and told how much to list it for, and what a fool I was etc, then (eventual) buyer lectured me on price, value etc like as if it was his computer and how dare I say how much im going to sell it for. HE EVEN PHONED MY HOME NUMBER ??? to verbally lecture me on pricing / value etc ?)

What I have read suggested in several threads is "bid as if its not working, and if it goes then its a bonus", keep in mind this could be my biggest lose on TradeMe ever.

Sorry just under a bit of stress with a leaky roof problem and asbsestos dust in my home, should be moving soon :D

:D
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm

so basically I would bid to a point where your comfortable paying that much for a very nice looking display piece and if it works perfectly then thats a bonus !

if I get $300 then thats some of my money back on the Monitor 3

I have been using the monitor /// :D
RonTurner

Postby Gibsaw on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Don't take it too personally, Gavin. The ProFile is like a LISA. It's such a high percentage of them that are "almost working" that people are a bit wary, and they're definitely not an easy fix.

With all the Apple II esoterica you possess, I'm surprised you don't have the interface card for a IIe?
Gibsaw

Postby mrad01 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Hmmmmm, do I need that Profile for my Lisa........
mrad01

Postby RonTurner on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Don't take it too personally, Gavin. The ProFile is like a LISA. It's such a high percentage of them that are "almost working" that people are a bit wary, and they're definitely not an easy fix.

With all the Apple II esoterica you possess, I'm surprised you don't have the interface card for a IIe?

Yes, you are right, sorry I know that last post sounds bad,

I sold the motherboard, not long ago. buyer was happy, and i'm happy the motherboard is now in an working Apple /// , which was dead. :D

unfortunately I dont have anything to use it with, I have two interface cards for connecting a Hard Disc to my Apple GS's, and an Apple GS with Hard Disc, its super cool ! I have the HD in my Woz limited edition GS which is Zip chiped and RAM'd to the Max, by far my coolest apple gears, so instead of an Apple /// , Lisa dream will stick with that and will let the items I will never complete go to another collector.

This hard disc has been sitting on a shelve for many many many years, so not to many miles on it,

The Apple /// items have been sitting around for a few years now, Apple /// to rare for me to obtain so I will reconfigure my collection and stick to what I have 4-5 of each item.

my Apple buyers have been happy so far, especially when they open the box and find extra items they weren't expecting (see feed back "thanks for the extra's")

Keep in mind, worse case senerio, you have a Monitor /// (hard to find!) and the mint manual for the monitor (looks brand new), the profile as a display piece, and the original set of floppy disks for it, and the Manuals for the Profile (which looks brand new like no one has even touched them) and the cable which I understand the DB plug has an unusual number of pins, not available at your local electronics store. There is still a lot in there :wink:

im going to make a big statement: this is the only time you will ever see something like this on trademe, all together in one place, one auction. I would consider it a rude gesture to list these items seperately as they make a set. (like selling a keyboard seperate re:C128)

there are always risks involved with old electronics, I have purchased monitors and plugged them in and "pooof"
:D
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:33 pm

If you bid you will be bidding on a Profile display piece, and working Monitor /// so bid accordingly, and don't get to carried away. :D

no warranties expressed/implied or otherwise. :)
RonTurner

Postby tezza on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 pm

RonTurner wrote:Obviously in this case I can't test it (fully), I don't have an Apple 3 or Lisa handy, I don't know of anyone local who has one to plug it into ?

I did power it up and it seemed ok, (admittidly not much of a test, but best I can do in this case)

No worries Gavin, that's fine. I just needed to know. I have a Profile that spins up and self tests but I can't seem to get it to boot from the Lisa. Best I have another go at fixing it in the future rather than take a chance on one whose operational integrity is unknown.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby RonTurner on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for understanding Tezza,

4 x Acid Damaged Corns gone, today, 12 hours on TM :) (would have been nice for seller to not have told me they don't have any acid damage "I checked inside them and didn't see and acid damage" :evil:

I might list a few more bits and bobs, not a fire sale or off-load or anything, its just if i'm going to move in
a few months there ain't much point in taking projects-that-may-one-day-be-done computers.

And now instead of the Acorn A3000 's sitting in a box rotting, at least buyer told me hes going to fix them :D

haven't lost interest in collecting vintage computers , hope to have a 100 by the end of next year. :D

Watch if your into Mac. (for example) :wink:
RonTurner

Postby RonTurner on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Some other items I have decided to list (fully test 100% )

Mint boxed studio monitor, (perfect picture) computer wont turn on anymore so monitor goes up.

C64 sports bag (thing?)

Mac quadra

I have had monitor /// on the soak , no smoke yet....
RonTurner

Next

Return to Trade Me