A600 - is there a battery, and why can't I close the case

Seek advice, give advice or tell others about your repair and restoration projects

A600 - is there a battery, and why can't I close the case

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am

Howdy Amiga experts...

Thanks to Radar, I have a PSU for the A600 to test it. He suggested I remove the battery to check for corrosion - however on opening the case, I can't see any battery - anywhere. The only reference I could find was a few piccies of an A500 and the battery... But does the A600 have a battery?

I did try to close the case (it had been popped half-open when I got it). The metal plate at the back of the keyboard pushes down on the FDD in the case making it impossible to close. The problem is that I tried shuffling and pushing things about, but I really can't seem to work out how the heck this is supposed to close back up. Am I stupid, or is there some trick to pushing and popping things about to get this back together...

I'll try and get this home tonight and test it with the PSU to see what happens...

Thanks to anybody here who has any suggestions. :?
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: A600 - is there a battery, and why can't I close the cas

Postby Radar on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 am

kevman3d wrote:Howdy Amiga experts...
Thanks to Radar, I have a PSU for the A600 to test it. He suggested I remove the battery to check for corrosion - however on opening the case, I can't see any battery - anywhere. The only reference I could find was a few piccies of an A500 and the battery... But does the A600 have a battery?
:?

Sorry was confused - A500+ is the one with Battery on MB, A600 the only battery would possibly be on a RAM board installed in the trapdoor.
Good luck!
Radar

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 am

Radar wrote:Sorry was confused - A500+ is the one with Battery on MB, A600 the only battery would possibly be on a RAM board installed in the trapdoor.
Good luck!

lol No problems - at least I know it wasn't my eyesight. :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Great! Works and brings up the boot screen... managed to close case once I realised two clips had not been snapped in properly... doh!

"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Radar on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 am

Nice! - good its see its working. No HDD inside it? Does it have the metal bracket for one?
Can probably sort you out a st of Workbench 2.0 disks for it.
Radar

Postby kevman3d on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:42 am

Radar wrote:Nice! - good its see its working. No HDD inside it? Does it have the metal bracket for one?
Can probably sort you out a st of Workbench 2.0 disks for it.

No brackets or other shielding (from what I've seen online, it usually has a lot of metal shielding above the circuit board) - I guess when whomever opened it up, they obviously never placed any of those back into it.

No HDD either, but I've ordered a CF card HDD device for it from eBay (pretty cheap). Once that's in place, apparently I can use WinUAE to format the CF and copy files across to it for toying with (ie. various games, demos, etc). I suspect I should be able to get away without needing a drive bracket for something that small and light (though probably need something on the back of the circuitry to stop it shorting). I was also tempted to go down the Gotek route with their USB FDD device, but this was cheaper (and felt like a better solution)

If you have spare disks, that would be great! (I can PM you a postal address and pay for the postage and disks)

I dunno about the internal drive mind you, its kinda rough-looking (it may be fine, just looks like its been pulled in and out a few times) but I also have an external fdd as well which is pretty heavy (solid metal casing) - I guess its possible to boot from an external?

Anyway, chuffed to see it works! :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Swivel on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 pm

A few good links here.

http://classicwb.abime.net/

And if your going to use Winuae then watch this for setting up the CF card.

This one will have you happy. you will see the 600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd42RsKHm5Y

If your after Amiga games etc I have the Ultimate Amiga Archive (about 13gigs ).

Also have Winimaged Amiga 500 and 1200 CF setups. The 1200 should work the same as 600, and they are 4 or 8gig setups.

If all else fails you could send the CF card to me and i'll chuck the setup on for you. You just have to pay for the postage both ways.

Tomo
Swivel

Postby Swivel on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Also.

The Gotek is a great unit, Have one in one of my Amigas, Same speed as a floppy (as it's an emulator) But opens the door to ADF fiiles.

My other 500 has an AlfaPower 500 drive (has a 1gig CF and maxed to 8 megs LOL) so the Gotek didnt get to that one.

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/b ... spx?id=529
Swivel

Return to Repair and Restoration