Dot matrix printers

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Dot matrix printers

Postby tezza on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:36 pm

I've run out of computers so covering some peripherals.

Remembering dot-matrix printers. Educational for younger people and maybe nostalgic for the rest of us?
http://youtu.be/UWM2OZGF8v0
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Dot matrix printers

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:50 am

Great video as always. That screech is quite characteristic of many offices, it's a noise I hate but at the same time brings back a lot of memories.

I have 3 dot matrix printers that all function correctly but finding replacement ribbons has been infuriating for me (Star LC series). I'll get "new + sealed" items sent over, open them up and install and they're dry! Some luck with treating them, WD40 or similar, but ended up just getting frustrated. Using a 1989 HP Deskjet Plus now - can actually still buy the cartridges new from HP which include the nozzles, so I'm fitting a 2014 head/ink to a 1989 printer and I think that's pretty awesome.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Gibsaw on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Must be possible to find out what the correct solvent is for them?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Gibsaw wrote:Must be possible to find out what the correct solvent is for them?

Yep. I think it's a mix of glycol + alcohol from memory (could be wrong) - WD40 does the trick but I don't think I let it saturate in to the ribbon for long enough. "Infuriating" was probably the wrong word, just a little frustrated.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby Carcenomy on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 am

OKI Microline. It's the only way to go in a dottie these days, they're still available new and hell... the 391 Turbo works in DOS right through to Windows 8.1! :) Ribbons are easy meal too. AFAIK the Microline has been around since back in the day too... is a brand new device using the same pattern as the 80s okay or cheating? :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Return to General