26pin FDD or Homemade cable

Please post details of what you are looking for here.

26pin FDD or Homemade cable

Postby SpidersWeb on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 am

So not being able to reassemble my T5200/100 is driving me nuts, and I don't want to spend > $100 for the sake of a floppy drive.
Already spent quite a bit replacing the motherboard a year ago.

So I'm looking for one of these:

- someone who can make me the adaptor cable (I have the pinouts - will be a little fiddly and need a crimp tool but apparently lots of people find this easy, not me) (will pay parts+labour)
or
- 26 pin normal sized 1.44Mb floppy drive (not a mini-laptop 1/3 height) (extra points if it's dark grey or a Citizen OSDA)
or
- dead Toshiba portable (not laptop) with a 1.44, one that can't be fixed, because if it can I will fix it and have to repeat this process.

Cash or trade - let me know what you're after.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Re: 26pin FDD or Homemade cable

Postby xjas on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Is the adapter cable like this one?

That would take me about five minutes to make; I build stuff like that all the time. Finding the 26-pin male connector might be the hard part but I'd bet I could just solder generic pinheader block in a pinch.
xjas

Postby SpidersWeb on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Unfortunately not.

It's the old 26 pin laptop/portable/keyboard standard to 34pin.
It's basically this: http://www.martinruss.com/sy99adapter.html

Some wires are straight through, some are twisted, some are shifted, and it needs a mini-power plug to come out of the 26pin end too.
Except for Pin 7, that can't be connected, its +5V on mine (not GND). There was/is a guy who made them as a single cable, but they're only available now with a floppy drive for $70. I can't be guaranteed it'll work either, it just looks 95% likely according to other sources.

I was crossing my fingers someone had a dead Toshiba lying around.
If my bonus comes through I may just order one from the US, prices are silly though :S
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby xjas on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:42 pm

That doesn't look very complicated, and I found a pinheader connector that would work from Jaycar here.

Just to be clear you want an adapter to hang a normal 34-pin FDD off your 26-pin cable right? So it would look like this:

Code: Select all
        [:::::::::::::] <-- 26 pin male
         |||||||||||||
         |||||||||||||
         ||||||||| \\\\
         |||||||||  \\\\
         |||||||||   \\\\
         |||||||||    \\\\
         |||||||||     \\\\
[::::::::::::::::::]   [....]
  ^^ 34 pin female       ^^ molex FDD power

(Pinouts in the above diagram are NOT accurate! Don't build that! :P )

I can certainly make you a prototype; won't necessarily be beautiful but it would (presumably) work. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.
xjas

Postby SpidersWeb on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm

That would be amazing, sorry for the slow reply too btw.
Doesn't need to be pretty :)

Just let me test a few pins to confirm. I want to make sure DS and Motor Enable are active low, and confirm if Pin 7 is +5 or GND (pretty sure it's +5V on mine).
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby xjas on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 am

No problem, let me know if it's the right spec and I'll throw one together. I was going to go by the local electronics shop for some odds and ends later so I'll see if they have a compatible pinheader strip, otherwise we might have to order one of those sockets from Jaycar.
xjas

Return to Vintage Items Wanted